We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Don't Shake Hands

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

The British Olympic Association (BOA) seem to have slipped up as there is no mention of the issue of NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical) protection in the article!!!

Surely airborne infection is more likely.

Would it have been better if the statement had simply reinforced the need for good hygiene practices to have been observed by all participants?

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

Why don't we exclude all foreigners from entering the UK for the duration of the Games, on potential infection grounds?

That way would also give us a chance to win a medal or two, as well!!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Words fail me"

Perhaps because you didn't read the report properly?

**A (BOA)spokesman said: "We are simply reminding athletes to take common-sense measures, such as washing their hands and using hand foam, to reduce the risk of catching a bug. "It's the same type of advice many employers give to their employees. "As an official policy, we are not advising our athletes to avoid shaking hands with people."**

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

As a child,I was often located in the kitchen rummaging in the cat litter tray(fortunately I never contracted anything)I am now an adult & very rarely suffer any illness.Protecting yourself from all bugs seems to be a modern thing(cleaning solutions to kill 99.9% of germs)and I'm sure that living in a sterile bubble will increase your chances of illness if you venture outside of this bubble.Commonsense approaches to hygiene are all thats needed,not tweets telling Team GB not to shake hands as this is downright rudeness(and I thought the Games were to showcase Britain)

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Perhaps because you didn't read the report properly?"

I did, and double checked it.

However I read it on the BBC text service, and simply found a link on their website.

Presumably the website report was different.

I would have thought, anyway, that the risk of infection is far greater from the embraces and cheek kissing which take place at the end of many contests, and would involve the transfer of body fluid in the form of perspiration.

According to some reports the air circulation system in some airliners carries lots of bacteria.

Perhaps athletes should be advised to take common sense measures like wearing masks while flying.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Chegs's comment makes a lot of sense. I also must have picked up many germs etc, as a child. I well remember playmates with mucky faces and runny noses, but I have had generally a healthy life. The only infections I have aquired are the odd common cold, german measles and chicken pox as a child and 2 flu infections, not man flu. I did have a heart attack, but that was due to genetic problems with a coronary artery. Thankfully I am now at 71 as fit as a fiddle.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

And certainly don't take back-handers, they're worse than a handshake!!! Dirty Money

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

When all of us were babies we probably went through the crawling stage. We crawled around the floors, picking up dirt and bacteria by the billion, with a sprinkling of viruses for good measure. Everything we came across probably made its way into our mouths.

Our bodies reacted to this bacterial and viral onslaught by fighting off most things and succumbing to others - in short we developed tolerances and immunities by the dozen to add to those our breastfeeding mothers had already given us.

Parents who obsessively try to 'protect' their crawling and toddling offspring from dirt, or from contact with other peoples' germs will see their children pay a price when they get to school and spend each day in the bacterial/viral soup that's created when dozens of kids are put together in close proximity.

Evolution has equipped us all with protective mechanisms, one of which is our wonderful immune system. We receive what's called 'passive' immunity from our mothers, via the placenta, and further antibodies from her breast milk. That gets us started, but it's not the full story.

When our body is invaded by a new microbe - one that we haven't encountered before - it puts up a fight, and we may feel ill. As a result special cells 'remember' that particular microbe, and the next time we come into contact with it we can deal with it without becoming ill - we've developed an immunity. For that to happen we have to be exposed to microbes, and inevitably we have to feel ill from time to time. With luck, most infections won't kill us the first time around.

Handshaking can lead to infections from faecal matter - it's a common cause of stomach upsets - and I can understand how Olympic athletes would want to safeguard against having gastric infections when they need to be in top form.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

is it bad hygiene advice or is it that none of these athletes don't wash their hands, maybe they should start a gimmick of selling wash hand gel to athletes an pubic alike, in case of swine flu.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

"an pubic alike"?

I hope that is not where athletes are putting their hands when they hug after an event!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes