We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Good to be in Scotland?

badgery
Resolved

Likes # 0

With the English NHS reforms and now the police, I certainly feel there's a lot of change being done in the south that I don't remember in any manifestos. Happy to be up here!

police

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

badgery

I fully appreciate what you are saying, but having worked on a number of occasions with the CPS, while they do not actually conduct (in theory?) investigations, interviewing suspects, they do have the powers to request that the police do.

The point that I am or was trying to make, that no matter what the role of certain organisations are, there is still a provision for these organisations to 'go private', due (as we are told) to funding and lack of resources. We have seen many organisations that carry a government title, yet at the same time, if you dig deeper, they are actually being run by private enterprise. When things go wrong, then this is were the public become surprised, or further involved. Two typical cases of how this is, and you only need to look how the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) or the DWP works, and who is involved with that. Both of these organisations are dealing on a daily basis with 'sensitive material', and both are now being run by private enterprise. There are many more private venture company's doing the same thing within the government sector nowadays. Something that you or I may not have imagined would have possibly happened years ago?.

With regards to "eventually meaning juries were not needed??". There are a number of court cases held on a daily basis, that have no juries in attendance, and its left to the presiding person to decide. This as been a discussion point within the legal system for some time now, as to whether judging of cases and how courts work, now require revision to a 'more modern standard' (whatever that might imply or eventually mean?).

But perhaps coming back to the the original subject about police. A few years ago, there was talk of amalgamating police forces even further, with cost savings in mind. As far as I am aware, this is still on the drawing board for possible action. So how far the 'security guard' (ex PCSO'S?) on the streets will go, it can only be any ones guess?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I should have perhaps added, that the CRB and DWP are apparently 'overseen' by government officials.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?