We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New French Law

natdoor
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have heard that the French are introducing a law to the effect that from July every motorist must carry a breathalyser. I can'treally see how this will impact on the awful accident rate in France. Don't traffic policemen carry breathalysers? Are pedestrians to be allowed to stop a car and demand that the driver takes a test? Or is one supposed breathalyse oneself before settingout or on resuming a journey after a sojourn at a hostelry?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Don't traffic policemen carry breathalysers?"

Don't know about France, but in the UK they don't, they sometimes have to send for one.

Such a law would at least get rid of the excuse that you didn't know you were over the limit, since you could/should have tested yourself.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

You surprise me, morddwyd. Fortunately I have no personal experience but was under the impression that all police cars carried breathalysers in the UK.

If a person checks himself before starting a journet and fails, if he drives he still has to be caught, so I still don't see the point.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Any sensible person should know by now that you need FULL concentration on the roads (especially around town) and anything that reduces that is a hazard.

This includes Drink, drugs,mobile phone or texting, playing with the smart phone or just having the radio going full blast; Moderate volume can help you too relax and make you more consious of what is going on. Talking to someone in the back seat also means you tend to turn your head away from the road.

Driving is more than just sitting behind the wheel and aiming it in the direction you want to go.

Terry

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

you have to know which pedal to press and when as well

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Or is one supposed breathalyse oneself before settingout or on resuming a journey after a sojourn at a hostelry?"

Precisely - that's the idea.

Quite a few years ago I did some work for a company which ran a chain of pubs. They had a rule that all staff who drove on company business should carry breathalysers in the car, and should test themselves if there was the slightest chance that they might be over the limit. Then, anyone who was subsequently caught by police, and tested over the limit would automatically face dismissal.

In truth, the only sensible law would be one that had a zero limit on blood alcohol for drivers.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

The rule will be that you have always to have a one use breathaliser, which means you need at least two so you have one ready after the first use. The the off ones are quite cheap (£1.50) and the fine for not having one is 11 Euros.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

Slightly off topic, but still related, France are also introducing a law soon (or may already have done so?) that you are not allowed any speed camera warning devices in your car - this includes warnings that are inbuilt into sat nav systems.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

When you update TomTom a warning about speed cameras in France comes up with the option to remove all data about French cameras.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

false security, if you have a lot to drink, get in the car. and that alcohol has not yet maxed out in your blood and you get a neg reading then 20 mins on your blood hits max concentration without your knowledge then the police bag you you could well be over.

Like this post  
natdoor

Likes # 0

So teetotallers have to carry a brethalyser. And someone who has drunk and tests positive is supposed not to drive. But if he does drive he will only be convicted if involved in an accident or stopped by the police for some reason. How many drink/drivers will take any notice of their positive result? Total lunacy if you ask me. Perhaps I should invest in breathalyser manufacturers

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback