We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New French Law

natdoor
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have heard that the French are introducing a law to the effect that from July every motorist must carry a breathalyser. I can'treally see how this will impact on the awful accident rate in France. Don't traffic policemen carry breathalysers? Are pedestrians to be allowed to stop a car and demand that the driver takes a test? Or is one supposed breathalyse oneself before settingout or on resuming a journey after a sojourn at a hostelry?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Bingalau I was told by a Chinese friend who lives in both Malaysia and Singapore (I found driving in both easy BTW - I last drove from KL to Singapore via Malacca and Jahore Baru) that if you were caught speeding in Malaysia and left $25 in your licennce you got off with a caution. Try the same in Singapore and would will be arrested for speeding and for attempting to bribe a policeman. Hong Kong is a lot more chaotic.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"So you've never been to milan then?"

Believe it or not I was on a coach, driven by a German, which got lost and ended up outside the AC Milan Stadium at the appropriate time on a Saturday afternoon!

You have a point!

The worst aspect of that incident was that the coach was full of Brits, who all knew he was lost (we were supposed to be going to Rome!) but no German was going to have a bunch of Brits telling him how to get round Europe! An interesting and scenic trip!

"spend some time (not for the faint-hearted) on the stretch of the M25 that runs past Heathrow airport between junctions 13 and 14. "

Done that one.

"Then there's the Autobahn Südosttangente Wien, known to its friends as the A23 near Vienna. "

Done that one too, but there you have the soothing effect of Vienna itself, the only city I have ever been in where I would be happy to live!

My rule of thumb about driving on the mainland is that the Italians are probably the worst drivers in Europe, but think they're the best, the Dutch are the other candidates for worst drivers in Europe, but couldn't give a damn anyway, life's too short to worry about driving standards, the Germans are probably the nest drivers in Europe, but also couldn't give a damn anyway, it's just one of the many things they do efficiently, and the French are the French!

Others will have other opinions.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

" the Dutch are the other candidates for worst drivers in Europe"

I lived and worked in Holland for 10 years from late 1988, and travelled throughout Holland, Belgium, France etc and came to UK frequently by Hover, Jetfoil , Rail tunnel etc in my LHD company car. When I first arrived in Holland, no one told me that, at that time anyway,the rule was "Priority from the right" from side roads unless there was a yellow diamond lozenge sign on the main road you were on. I had a few near misses and shouting matches in the first week at "idiots" coming from a side road without stopping until a Dutch colleague put me straight!! Maybe the Dutch think we are not so hot, either!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Maybe the Dutch think we are not so hot, either!"

Like I said, the Dutch don't give a damn anyway.

"Life's too short to worry about driving standards. Let's have a party"

Lovely country, lovely people.

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

The idea of the yellow sign http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Zeichen_306.svg when entering a built up area tells you if you have the right of way or not, this Is used to slow people down, another one to remember is when you have 2 lanes going into 1 you have to give way alternately between lanes not all sit in inside lane not letting outside lane in, I had a friend who had a coming together with another driver that he thought was trying to push in he got fined because the guy cutting in had the right of way.

Noldi

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers