We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New French Law

natdoor
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have heard that the French are introducing a law to the effect that from July every motorist must carry a breathalyser. I can'treally see how this will impact on the awful accident rate in France. Don't traffic policemen carry breathalysers? Are pedestrians to be allowed to stop a car and demand that the driver takes a test? Or is one supposed breathalyse oneself before settingout or on resuming a journey after a sojourn at a hostelry?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

natdoor If only someone would invent a foolproof gadget that links the drivers breath with a device that prevents an engine starting if the have had a drink.. Maybe a clever school child will adapt a Raspberry Pi! Also, IMHO, alcoholics caught drink - driving should have licences removed until proved to be in sobriety.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

john bunyan

It's been done

Toyota

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

OTT_B. Thanks.I just wish it could become a universal, compulsory, device!

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Personally I think it's a badly thought through dumb idea. If the police catch you drink driving, then is the punishment going to be made worse because your could or should have known better? Do you have to retain the used one to produce as evidence? If so, whats to say you blew into it before you started drinking?

On another note, I was caught for drink driving 2 years ago by the gendarmerie. They set up a sting operation at a roundabout, with officers on all 4 exits pulling cars and breathalysing the drivers. We had been out for a good time when we were stopped, I was pulled out, breathalysed, found positive and handcuffed in nothing flat. It took much pointing and gesturing to make them realise that although they saw me get out of the drivers seat, it was a british car with right hand drive and I had in fact got out of the passenger seat. The big giveaway was no steering wheel in front of my seat! After some gallic laughter of epic proportions I was sent on my way, even if they didnt actually breathalyse the real driver (who was sober).

WTM

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"...is the punishment going to be made worse because your could or should have known better?"

That's entirely possible,and it makes sense, but it's not why drivers must carry the breathalyser kit. The French government is about to lower the maximum blood alcohol limit, and it wants drivers to be able to test themselves if they're unsure.

"Do you have to retain the used one to produce as evidence? If so, whats to say you blew into it before you started drinking?"

No, you don't have to retain your own breathalyser, the police rely on their own reading at the time.

The best advice anyone can give a driver about to take to the roads in France is 'don't drink any alcohol at all'.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Is this law applicable to tourists passing through? If so we will probably have to buy our breathalyser kit at Dover or wherever before going near the place.

All those Frenchies smell of garlic anyway, I wonder if that would bamboozle a cheapo breathalyser?

I think I will go to Europe in future via Hamburg.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

"I think I will go to Europe in future via Hamburg."

Driving in France has required carrying a high viz jacket, bulb kit, triangle, sometimes snow chains, driving licence and proof of insurance for a long time. I don't see any issue with putting a couple of £1.50 breathalysers in the car as well.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

My issue is, unlike the other items one has to carry, the effectiveness and usefulness of these things.

I will also be curious to see who will be targeted in checks for these things:french or non french drivers. In an ideal world it should be irrelevant. In practice - come on, this is france we are talking about! If you want to know about french bias ask any british truck driver who has driven over there.

WTM

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I think I will go to Europe in future via Hamburg."

Don't forget to carry your high viz jacket, bulb kit, triangle, driving licence, proof of insurance and your officially approved first aid kit, which is for use by the emergency services and not you, and should be unopened, all compulsory in Germany!.

Incidentally, Hamburg has the worst rush hour traffic I've ever seen, including Paris, Rome and London.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Hamburg has the worst rush hour traffic I've ever seen, including Paris, Rome and London

So you've never been to milan then?

WTM

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks