We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I've just heard Davy Jones...lead singer of the Monkees has died.

Aitchbee

Likes # 0

What a great group of characters that group had.

The English accent of Davy, I beleive, made their TV show very popular in the UK.

Goodbye Davy.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

They'll be a few more '60s idols catching that last train to Clarksville over the next decade or so. All those that survived the drink and drugs excess era are coming up to face old age syndrome now.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I was watching some late night/early morning music program on the TV last week and he was on and as I had not seen him for years it took a while to realise who it was. He had not aged well. I suppose it was the same with Micky who I always remembered as the lovely little "Circus Boy" and when he appeared as the Monkees drummer in later years he too had not grown well.

To be honest they were not musically gifted, well three of them weren't, and without the emerging talent of Neil Diamond doing most of their songwriting they may have vanished a lot quicker than they did.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Everyone has to get on that final taxi, for sure!

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

A Taxi?? I can just imagine St Peter's reaction if you turn up in a Taxi. I think you had better start walking done them stairs and take your extinguisher from your other post with you :-)

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

In the 60's I was a roadie with Hermans's Hermits. We played a night club in Manchester one night, Davy Jones was in the audience. He was on his own, but I didn't see it as my place to ask him to join us, the Hermit's managers were there.

I still regret not sticking my neck out, no-one spoke to him. Sorry, Davy, next time.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"They'll be a few more '60s idols catching that last train to Clarksville over the next decade or so"

They are all contemporariness of mine, so that's cheered me up for the day no end!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Whoops, forgot the purpose.

RIP Davy.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Graham*

I've always had a rule to leave celebs alone when they're "off duty", and have spent many a night in Manchester bars a couple of stools away from rock stars. Sometimes I'll speak to them if they look like they're in the mood, but if they're alone and have the far away look of a three day binge behind them I leave well alone.

My biggest regret is the time when I was in a cinema queue behind Ian Brown (Stone Roses) and his kids. I had a freshly bought copy of the 20th Anniversary edition of the Stone Roses debut in my pocket, but because he was with his kids my rule prevented me getting an autograph.

In the same queue was Gemma Atkinson from Hollyoaks and premier league WAG fame, she used to work for me when she was at college, but she didn't recognise me :-(

rip Davy Jones

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes