We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Raspberry Pi computer

woodchip

Likes # 0

Your Thoughts on what you could use it for other than schools.

Click Hear to Read about it

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Woodchip, the Raspberry Pi was featured on this morning's BBC R4 'Today program' at 8:35am , with Tecky geeks, J. Humphry % J. Naughtie :-): they both gave it the thumbs up, because it might help to educate young people to 'write their own apps'...which would be cool! Writing their own 'programs' would be boring. Naughtie endorsed it again, because it was a non-profiting organisation making the device.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I hear the released article will come enclosed in a container which is just as well as I can see young fingers going where they shouldn't. Now can I get Windows 8 to run on it?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Does this mean PCA will be publishing pages of code? I remember when Wireless World and other magazines used to have pages covered with lines of code to type in to get the latest game - then a month later a load of corrections.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Apple, Blackberry, Raspberry... what's with the fruit theme names in computing?

Personally I prefer a ready and fully working out of the box system like Windows 7, it's a peach:)

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"magazines used to have pages covered with lines of code to type in"

It would sometimes take a few days, and just one space or a colon instead of a semi=colon and a crash from which it might take hours to recover!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I like the look of this, it's running a similar processor to an iPhone, and with a copy of Myst you could probably make a serviceable movie player for very little money...

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

It would sometimes take a few days, and just one space or a colon instead of a semi=colon and a crash from which it might take hours to recover!

I remember those heady days learning 'C' (badly) and writing little bits of software to teach my children their tables. I often had finger trouble which caused many hours of debugging.

As for the pages of code printed in various magazines, at least these days I could scan the pages in, copy and paste it and use a memory stick to load it. I would still expect many hours of debugging though!!!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"It would sometimes take a few days... etc"

At that time my 12 year old nephew was into all that and I remember thinking what a waste of time and effort these computers are, it's easier to use a pen and paper to work something out. They'll never take off you know...!

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I too tried the magazines for code if thats what the Spectrum +3 I owned's programming could be called.I never got around to debugging,if it didn't work I'd swear (lots)& try a different page until I finally found one that worked.

When my daughter announced she was studying ICT I was very interested,but listening to her teacher this involves little more than learning howto use MS programs.I've since taught her a little more such as building a desktop & setting up a network,with a short foray into Linux(rapidly lost interest as it involved command lines)when her MS desktop kept crashing.

The MS way of computing suits UK children as they just aren't interested in basics,bicycles get a puncture they're binned,ask modern youth to repair anything produces a look of puzzlement & the question "why repair,I can get a new one thats better"

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

I ordered one yesterday. I'm going to use it to upgrade my Sony Bravia TV which is limited to iPlayer whereas this little board will allow me full access to the Internet (it has Ethernet and HDMI) by adding a wireless keyboard/mouse through the USB. The Raspberry Pi is powered by a standard smartphone power supply so it's simple to connect.

Other uses include a very good version of XBMC so it's ideal for streaming!

I can also enter all that code on a 1080p screen rather than the 12" B&W TV I had for my Spectrum!

The Raspberry Pi comes without an OS but you can add your choice of images from the Foundation. Initial offering seems to be Fedora based.

It's a remarkable achievement for a sub £30 device.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer