We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fire fighting equipent in your home

Noldi

Likes # 0

Today I had to attend a Vehicle Fire Training course with the Royal Berkshire fire brigade, after the course had finished the subject changed to home and what we have around the house, I have had new mains fire and carbon monoxide alarms installed recently. What I don't have is adequate fire fighting at home like a fire blanket or extinguishers, the best piece of fire fighting equipment I could arrange at present would be a car wash bucket or a wet blanket. This weekend I will have to resolve this. How many of you are in a similar situation regarding the perpetration if you had a fire in your home.

Noldi. 

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

I have a large BCF/Halon extinguisher that I acquired during my service with the LFB. They were very good at extinguishing car fires and also fires in post boxes without damaging the contents. They can also be used on chip pan and oil based fires and electrical fires, they work very well.

Unfortunately you cannot get them anymore because of the detrimental effects they were supposed to have on the atmosphere, not sure if there is an alternative. You have to know what you are doing with them however because in certain circumstances they can give off phosgene gas.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I've got a big axe to break my double glazed bedroom window, as there is only one door in to the hallway which I may not be able to use.. At least five smoke alarms around the house, which is a three bedroomed semi-detached bungalow. I've got a fire blanket and an extinguisher in the kitchen. Oh yes! I also have a carbon monoxide detector. My plan is to get the hell out and let it burn, if it gets too fierce before the fire bobbies arrive.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Like most others I have none.

Would like to think that we could get out of the house some way but that is not always the case.

Fire Brigade in this area will come and fit Fire Alarms in houses free of charge.

As far as I know all fire services provide this service if asked.But I could be wrong.

Just googled it to check and it seems that quite a lot fit them free.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=WEW&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&q=fire+brigade+fit+free+smoke+alarms&oq=fire+brigade+fit+free+smoke+alarms&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gssm=12&gsupl=0l0l0l30167l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

We have halon and smoke detectors, though my plan, approved by the local fire safety visitor, does not include fire fighting.

We are registered as vulnerable with the local station, and the agreed plan is that I shut myself in with my disabled wife in her bedroom, seal the door with towels wetted from the kettle/hot water bottle, or urine if no other water available, and await rescue from a fully opening window.

Seems strange when a large part of your life has been spent fighting exercise or real fires (including BA!).

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I've got a 2kg dry powder one under the sink unit, I put it there about 15 years ago.

This post has reminded me to check the pressure gauge on it, and I see that it's in need of a top up of whatever gas powers it. I'll do it first thing on the morrow!

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

Bingalau I won't be far behind you when it comes to getting out, I think a chip pan fire or an defect electrical appliance is all I would attack, We did the course because we have lost 3 development cars to fires and the powers to be thought it would be good to give us so idea of what to do in the case of a Automotive fire, with all the new Hibrid and Lithium battery's etc, we all came to a similar conclusion if the on board plumbed in extinguisher didn't put it out we would not have a cat in hells chance especially with 600 volt battery's. Even the fire brigade admitted they would not try to extinguish a car fire without full breathing equipment because today's cars can give off some nasty fumes.

Noldi

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

My son-in-law is a fire fighting nut he as extinguishes all over is house, and I have some as a result of the above, kitchen as a 2KG powder, others up and down the house and in car, and they are checked regular if not he tells me that he will check and date them. they should be refilled after some years used or not

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

My house is a fire-trap because of all the junk that is in it.

If there was a major fire in my flat, or in the ones above and below, I reckon I would be a gonner!

Thanks, Noldi, for your wake-up call.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

buteman

You are correct, all fire brigades will now come and do a home fire safety risk assessment for you and will fit smoke detectors for free. If you live in London just pop round to your local fire station and they will make an appointment to come and do a risk assessment for you.

Alternatively go to LFB HFS visit and you can book a visit online.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

I should just make clear that the link I posted is for people living in the London Fire Brigade area.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made