We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fire fighting equipent in your home

Noldi

Likes # 0

Today I had to attend a Vehicle Fire Training course with the Royal Berkshire fire brigade, after the course had finished the subject changed to home and what we have around the house, I have had new mains fire and carbon monoxide alarms installed recently. What I don't have is adequate fire fighting at home like a fire blanket or extinguishers, the best piece of fire fighting equipment I could arrange at present would be a car wash bucket or a wet blanket. This weekend I will have to resolve this. How many of you are in a similar situation regarding the perpetration if you had a fire in your home.

Noldi. 

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Fire extinguishers are used to help you gain an exit.

Fire(wo)men are for putting out fires.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Noldi

Lots of companies seem to have different policies, and I suppose it depends on the size of the company and the type of building you are in.

In my last place everyone was taught about all the different types of fire fighting equipment, and we got to use the kit in the good yard outside. Once a year a couple of chaps from the extinguisher servicing company came round and set various fires for use to practise on.

Now I work for a large US based company and each site has one or more fire marshals who've had a full day training, and are responsible for evacuating their area, and carrying out regular floor walks checking for potential hazards.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...