We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Are you working class or middle class?

ordep

Likes # 0

I heard an interesting quote on the radio yesterday as to how you define yourself as working class or middle class.

Working class shower in the evening. Middle class shower in the morning.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I'm in a class of my own - or so other people tell me ;)

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

There was a time when in most towns one could find a decent place where it was "too good" for the plebs. No screaming kids or misbehaving adults. Nowadays,north of Watford, there is no difference in "class". We have brought every where down to a level. Even the most expensive places will have their share of undesirables! Is that why the pubs are closing at a high rate and why more people are having small parties at home each weekend?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Alderly Edge used to be Upper Class and prices to match! Here is the Wiki list of a few residents, which shows that money and class are not the same!!

David Beckham and his family lived here until he was transferred to Real Madrid football club.[10]

The area is also the home of a number of other affluent people, many of whom are multi-millionaires (particularly football players, pop stars and business people), including Manchester United players Rio Ferdinand and Michael Carrick. Former players Cristiano Ronaldo,[10] and Mikaƫl Silvestre also used to live there and, as well as former Liverpool (now Stoke City) star Peter Crouch and well known footballer Andy Cole. A number of Coronation Street actors, including Denise Welch and Richard Fleeshman also live in the village. Other famous members of the community include property entrepreneur Peter Jones and TV presenter and voice-over artist Stuart Hall.[11][12][13]

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

AitchBEE. Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen that sketch before and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

john bunyan. Yes it is something like that district near Poole in Dorset. A place where only rich footballers and the like can afford to live. I believe. Oh I forgot there is also Victoria Road in Formby, where once again only rich footballers can afford to buy. Apart from John Moores who started the football pools empire. No idea where his family live now, but they probably migrated when I decided to live in Formby.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I don't think anyone should mistake having loadsa money for Class.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

lotvic, did you say Loadsamoney...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-7v4qnHP8

...I thought you did!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yup

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

A teacher is at the front of the class - but is probably described as middle class.

If you have to work for a living ----- you must be working class

Some people described as having an "independent income" are considered upper class as they do not work for a living.

Funnily enough there are also people who have an independent income (from the government) they are not considered upper class even though they do not work for a living.

I'm not sure where middle class must fall having looked at the above :0)

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

For most of my working life I wore overalls, so I am in no doubt!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...