We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

So nothing CAN travel faster than light after all!

WhiteTruckMan
Resolved

Likes # 0

We can all breath a sigh of relief. The speed of light is still a universal absolute after all, contrary to earlier reports from CERN. Apparently the mistake may all be put down to a faulty wire!

The only problem now is that I heard about it in The Daily Wail. A publication that has much to recommend it, but not strict accuracy. So whichever way I lean it puts me on the horns of a dilemma. Believe things can travel faster than light, or believe the Mail?

Decisions, decisions!

WTM

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

It was once believed that the earth was flat, and that nothing could travel faster than sound, both proved wrong.

We know that 'At the present moment', the technology to travel faster than light does not exist, although I belive that Neutrino's appear to.

Give a few years and who knos what else may be proved true (or False).

Just keep an open mind.

Terry

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

WTM - you are showing the classic signs of 'The Uncertainty Principle'.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Apparently it's taken 3 years to discover a cable not quite fully plugged in.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Believe things can travel faster than light, or believe the Mail?"

Perhaps you should believe your inner voice, which I hope is telling you that you should believe in the possibility of something being able to travel faster than light until experimental data have provided conclusive proof, one way or the other.

As for the Daily Mail, you're obviously a reader, or you wouldn't be saying that it "has much to recommend it, but not strict accuracy."

Perhaps it's time to read a different paper - assuming you can find one that reports such stuff with greater accuracy?

Like you, I'm not sure what to think. Let's wait for the results of the further experiments that are being conducted.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

My little secret is out! I'm actually rather fond of the mails cartoons and crossword puzzles.

And now I'm going to shut myself in my cab with schrodingers bacon sandwich. You can only speculate as to whether the brown sauce was applied.

WTM

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

Do you people never watch the documentary - Star Trek - Klingons, Romulans, & many other wonderful races all use the warp system, try & keep up chaps.

How do you think Picard, Riker & Mr Worf & others travel around the galaxy?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"How do you think Picard, Riker & Mr Worf & others travel around the galaxy?"

That's what makes science fiction so interesting; you can make up more or less anything you like, and nobody can say 'it'll never happen' with any degree of certainty.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

There has not yet been a dismissal of neutrinos travelling faster than light, merely conjecture that there may be other reasons the results obtained. Particularly given the two explanations would have had opposite effects on the timings (one slowing it down but the other speeding it up). CERN will again do their neutrino experiment in May and we will know better then, in the meantime, despite pronouncements that they might have it, has there been any sightings of that Higgs bosun yet?

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

" CERN will again do their neutrino experiment in May and we will know better then"

Brings to mind the ongoing football kicking cartoon involving Charlie Brown and Lucy!! (Peanuts fans only, of course).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......