We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Frank Carson

badgery
Resolved

Likes # 0

In my opinion he was the funniest man I've ever watched perform. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17046201

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I saw him about 20 years ago when he entertained a cricket dinner I was at.

At first I though he was going to be awfully cheesy and passé, but he got his audience onside very quickly and did a very good job of comedy without once descending to the effing and jeffing level that today's lot would start at.

I'm no prude, but he delivered some very funny comedy that was safe for a family audience, to an all bloke audience. He had a complete mastery of delivery and timing.

Like this post
al's left peg

Likes # 0

He was one of those that you just had to look at to start laughing. I don't think there is much to TV or celebrity comedy any more. People like Jimmy Carr and the likes I do not find funny at all. Mocking disabled people and people who have recently passed away, which he seems to make most of his so called material, is not comedy in my eyes.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

To me he was someone, like Tommy Cooper, who didn't have to say a word to make me laugh, The very sight of him and his facial mannerisms made made curl up and when he actually did speak, in his 'pantomime Irish' accent, it always made me chuckle. As Quickbeam said "he got his audience onside very quickly and did a very good job of comedy without once descending to the effing and jeffing level that today's lot would start at."

Like Morecambe & Wise and Tommy Cooper he will be missed.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

Hopefully there will be a lot of his old material that will be broadcast again, in tribute, that we can enjoy once more.

I remember World Champion, Dennis Taylor, telling me that he owed a lot to Frank for developing his 'exhibition routine' (which was very funny!) for him when he did a lot of touring the snooker clubs.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Frank was a regular guest on the 70's saturday morning TV programme TISWAS...which was aimed at kids...and quickly became a star, with his quick, witty jokes and adlibs.

Like this post
minilite

Likes # 0

What a lovely man, he did not have to rely on smut to get his joke across ,I think we are all the poorer for his loss. They do not make them like him any more

Like this post  
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I notice another comedian has also passed away today, making two in 24 hours. As these things tend to come in threes, (Superstition I know) I hope "Doddy" takes his medication tonight.

Like this post
ordep

Likes # 0

I find it odd that Ken Dodd hasn't commented on Franks death.

Like this post
MAJ

Likes # 0

Frank to waiter: Four hours to cook an octopus!!!!! How come it takes four hours?

Waiter to Frank: It keeps turning the gas off, Sir.

Classic and cracks me up every time. It's the way he told them. Hew will be sorely missed here in N.Ireland.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

ordep. Ken Dodd talked at length about Frank on BBC1 earlier this evening, at about 18.45 hrs. (Look North). The other comedian lost today was Ken Goodwin. (of "settle down now" fame).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy an iPhone 6 (or any smartphone) on contract: Get the latest tech and save...

IDG UK Sites

Corel Painter 2015 review

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK