We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Olympic Torch

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

Did I read somewhere about a week or so ago, that the Olympic Torch, as well as being carried around Britain by a multitude of people. Will also be making a stop in Dublin? I am not against this but can't figure out the reason.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I didn't blame any generation.

I simply stated my belief, also held by many others, that that Britain got a whole lot of cheap stuff, including labour, from the "Empire"

Do you really believe that Clive or Rhodes were philanthropists?

It could be that the reason so many now come here is in an attempt to get some of it back!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Obviously there was a great deal of exploitation of the "colonies". It would take a long debate, however, to decide whether the British influence was, ultimately, for good or evil. Just take India, where even now the railway system built by the British is a key part of their economy, and much of their political,judicial and educational structures are based on ours. This is the case in many former colonies, few of whom seem to bear much malice. This is amply demonstrated by their relatively enthusiastic membership of the Commonwealth.
I suspect that the exploiters you mention are vastly outnumbered by the thousands who gave a lifetime (and their lives) in attempt to improve things in those countries. Compared to the Belgians, we were saints!!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...also,

...4. How many corrie-handed people will hold the Olympic Torch aloft?

...5. Does it every go in and outta Pubs (9th June - Rutherglen)...The Allan Wells Inn...Glasgow.

...6. Will drinks be on the house, on Olympic Torch Day?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

There'snot just one Olympic torch, there are lots of them. We'll have 8000 torch bearers, and each one will carry a torch for around 300 metres. Altogether, the torches will be carried around the country for 70 days before the games begin.

The torches will be powered by a mixture of propane and butane, but the precise proportions of the gas mixture have yet to be decided. Each torch will remain alight for 10 minutes. Torches are not refilled.

Like this post
robgf

Likes # 0

Each torch will remain alight for 10 minutes. Torches are not refilled.

10 minutes isn't very long, especially with the poor state of health of most of the UK population, they may not cover 300 meters in 10 minutes. And not refillable, so much for the eco image of the Olympics, a terrible waste of materials.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I only hope that these torches have a collector's status, otherwise it just going to be a recyle problem and perhaps another waste of money.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, our council and the business community have already had dress rehearsal. In fact our local Coop Foodstore and their customer's was part of that rehearsal. Kept the kid's amused for an hour or so, especially as there was a number of freebies on offer on that day!.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...