We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Olympic Torch

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

Did I read somewhere about a week or so ago, that the Olympic Torch, as well as being carried around Britain by a multitude of people. Will also be making a stop in Dublin? I am not against this but can't figure out the reason.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 1

I suppose I should have googled for it.

Like this post  
morddwyd

Likes # 0

If the Tour de France can go through England I suppose anything is possible!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I am not against this but can't figure out the reason."

It's being done because, in the words of the secretary of state for culture, olympics, media and sport, "The Republic of Ireland is the only country outside the UK to be visited by the torch and rightly so, given the unique and deep ties between Ireland and the UK."

Michael Ring, the Republic of Ireland's sports Minister, said he was delighted that the flame would be visiting the country.

"A number of international teams have already chosen Dublin as a training base before the London Games," he said.

"The visit of the Olympic Flame next year will be a wonderful opportunity for the whole of Ireland to be even more closely involved with the 2012 London Olympic Games and for Irish people to be part of the biggest sporting event in the world."

Sounds pretty good to me.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

Building bridges and making friends is far more fun and sustainable.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"unique and deep ties between Ireland and the UK.""

Like the unique and deep ties between the UK and India, Africa and a myriad other places which have been raped, pillaged and plundered by the British.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

When I was at school that was described as civilising the colonies, and offering the protection of the great mother country for the mutual benefit of all.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...Mother did quite nicely out of it.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

On a practical note:-

... 1. What gas is used to power the flame?

... 2. How many times on it's 8,000 mile journey would it require a refill?

... 3. Will I be able to buy a replica for my gas-cooker?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I don't know about anywhere else, but our local council and other business concerns, seem to be spending quite a lot of time and money on dress rehearsals on this torch carrying ceremony. The next thing, they are pleading lack of resources and funding?.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

"Like the unique and deep ties between the UK and India, Africa and a myriad other places which have been raped, pillaged and plundered by the British."

Is that why so many come here to live (over 1.2 million from Pakistan alone)? Normally folk do not go to live with their "rapists"

I have many Indian and other friends from the countries mentioned and few share the view expressed. How long must our generation be blamed for the sins of our "fathers"?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......