We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Firemen not allowed to go into water if it's over ankle deep

hssutton

Likes # 0

I was rather amazed to read that firemen (unless trained to enter water)Man drowns in 3 feet of water, due to health & safety are not allowed to enter water more than ankle deep. This was highlighted in a recent case where a man died in 3 feet of water

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I just read that in the paper.

If I was walking by at the time, I'd have just walked in and done what was needed. I might have plenty of rough edges, but I've got plenty of common sense too...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

And If I was the fireman, I'd still have done the same and argued that the water only looked ankle deep as it does tend to do if anyone dared to discipline me!

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

I'm not sure how anyone can just stand there and watch, but this is not the first incident of this kind, I think the last case of this kind involved the police.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

They'll be banned from entering a burning building next!

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

I wonder if its to with the incident, where a man got his foot trapped in a grate when it was raining, and they couldn't free him and the sadly he drowned.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

finerty, did you not read the report as per link?

Simon Burgess, 41, drowned in a model boating lake after apparently suffering an epileptic seizure while feeding swans.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Some months ago a woman lay at the bottom of a mineshaft (she subsequently died) for six hours while firefighters watched because their senior officer said the kit they wanted to use was only for rescuing firefighters not civilians.

You cannot, or perhaps you can, imagine my feelings as an H&S officer when I read of travesties like this.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The poor man's epileptic seizure may have been triggered by the dazzling reflections of the sun on the water, together with the random flapping of the the birds' wings.

The Firemen involved in this sad accicident were not to blame, as they were only following rules.

But, the rulebook has to be thrown out of the window...on occassions. (Or better still, revised and rewritten)

The "Fireman's lift" will be the next thing to be banned because of HEALTH & SAFETY issues.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"These things are always more complex than they appear." ???

When you have one person struggling in water at the scene, a fire tender equipped for emergencies, and several firemen in attendance, that can help each other if need be, I would say the solution is much more simpler than it appears.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The thing that is very disturbing, is the cases that you hear about are not isolated incidents, and it appears to be happening on a far more regular basis.

Not far from where I live there have been 3 notified incidents over the past four years. One was a young boy who was with his friends, fell between some lock gates in the local canal. By the time the rescue services arrived and got kitted out, it was to late to save the boy. But there again, I remember the days when bouys with long ropes were handy near lock gates, for such eventualities.

Another incident only last week, in roughly the same area, was a elderly grand-father taking his grand-daughter and dog for a walk along the canal path, and the grand-daughter fell in, The old chap was seriously struggling to get to the girl, who was a short distance from the bank. Along came a jogger, saw what was happening, then went into the canal and got the young girl out. He then carried the child to her grand-parents home nearby,comforting her on the way, and left immediately after leaving the child with the grand-parents. The grand-parents and the childs parents then contacted the local newspaper to see if they could trace the jogger, so they could give thanks. Through that appeal, the various parties were able to meet, and has usually in cases like this,the person involved stated that he had done, 'what anyone else would have done'?.

The third incident, was a new police dog (starting training) that was being taken for a walk, and some how managed to fall in a local regular used water spot. That dog (Fudge) died, because I suppose of a risk factor?.

The other thing that seems to be on the increase, if someone is reported missing, and possibly near a water location, then the police and search crews seem to miss finding anyone. Only for a passer-by to notice a body a few days later. That's happened four times now, over the past three years in my location of the country!.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...