We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Decided to stop smoking

carver

Likes # 0

Last Saturday I had my last cigarette and decided that was the start of a life without smoking.

Been hard going since then, clutch went on car Sunday and can't get it fixed till Friday because of waiting for parts, my daughter broke 2 fingers because of a horse rearing and her finger were trapped in bridle also on Sunday.

Yesterday Monday, built in gas cooker decided to commit suicide and now we have no cooker, but I am determined to stop smoking so phoned doctors this morning to see if I could get an appointment with a doctor to get help.

After waiting for about 5 minutes to get someone to pick a phone up at the doctors this is the response I got, NO appointments till next Monday to see a doctor, did I want to see the person who runs the stop smoking clinic, yes please well she only comes in once a week and that is on Monday afternoon.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

I don't get a good nights sleep because of pain from an injury to my arm and at this moment in time I could murder a fag, if I had any that is.

But if one more person tells me that I am doing the correct thing because "smoking is socially unacceptable" I will shove a pack of twenty down their throat.

Sorry about the rant but if my my neighbour tells me one more time how socially unacceptable it was for me to smoke in my garden I'm going to have a barbecue every day and not bother getting a new cooker.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

There will be lots of advice and lots of comments about smoking and its social unacceptability. It goes with the territory, but as time passes it will, as I said earlier, get much easier to bear.

You'll be irritable while your brain and the rest of your body fight each other, but in the end your brain is going to win. You'll beat the addiction, and you'll feel good about it.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Looking on the bright side, you'll no longer be pointed at disparagingly by non-smokers driving by when huddling from the cold, wet and wind while wheezing desperately and commenting on how much your enjoying it outside in the adult bike sheds!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Doe's anyone still remembers the days, when sweet shops use to sell those sugar type 'fags' with box to the kids. So the kid's could pretend to be adults?.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

You can still get them, but they're now called candy sticks.

And probably the reason why you never see Bulls Eyes anymore is because of the BSE scare a while back...

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Everyone is different. The doctor told me I could stop smoking or start taking tablets. I never had another cigarette; I had just bought 200 which I gave away.

Looking back, 'stopping smoking' wasn't such an issue at the time when nearly everyone smoked.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

well done!

I started when i was 11 and quit when i was 21. Now im 41 going on 42 soon

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I liked to 'roll my own' when I was eight or nine...

http://www.oldestsweetshop.co.uk/sweets.asp?secid=11&swtid=244

...I can still imagine what they tasted like...heaven!

Like this post
realist

Likes # 0

My advice after having given up "on my own" many years' ago would be to open a "no smoking account" with yourself whereby:

you keep a few cigs in the house to prove to yourself you can have them on hand but not smoke them. If you don't do this the urge to buy a new pack may be overwhelming and the cycle of addiction restarted as having gone out and bought more you will almost certainly smoke them.

you let people know you've stopped, to reinforce your determination not to smoke.

you keep an ashtray of cig-ends around to remind you of a "downside".

you keep in mind the weekly amount you're not spending on tobacco, and a running total in your head as it mounts up......

Worked for me.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

When I moved into a new house 25 years ago I decided to stop as I didn't want the new house to smell of smokers. I thought that after smoking non filters for some 25 years it would be very difficult but it wasn't half as bad as I imagined it would be. As I worked in a hospital I didn't really smoke during the day but I could get through 20 in an evening.

After a couple of months I began to get my sense of smell back and that was the main thing that kept me determined not to revert. I suddenly realised that the hair and clothes of smokers smelt dreadful and I knew I must have been as bad. This realisation got me through the remaining few months of cravings and I am so glad I kept at it. Today I sit in bars overseas among smokers and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I just don't feel like joining them anymore but gladly I haven't become one of those dedicated to stamping the practice out.

Stick with it and try and do it without the patches as that only prolongs the final break. Good luck.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote