We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Drought in England is official...what is the solution to this natural phenomenon?

Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The lack of rain has meant reservoirs are at their lowest levels for 35 years.

Can 'the North' help 'the South' ?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

A water grid appears to have been ruled out. Water Org. The last sentence of the article states "However, to achieve this it is essential that development planning and water resources planning are properly coordinated.". Properly coordinated could well be dreamland!

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Well there's a start to it.

Build the Core of the new Water Grid into the bed of the HS2 line!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

mordwydd

*"Governments have to grasp this nettle and spend those large amounts of money. Since they don't have it they will have to raise it, in the only way they know how, by taxes."*

Have you thought this through?

Water companies aren't in public ownership, they have no special status, entitling them to expect the taxpayer to fund miles and miles of expensive new pipelines and pumping stations. Money for a National water grid would have to be raised in the time-honoured fashion - by increasing the cost of the product to consumers. I'm sure that people in Wales and Scotland would be delighted (not)to fork out more for their water because of a new pipeline taking it away to England.

In any case, pumping millions of litres of water across the country would cost a fortune - probably as much as the cost of the water - quite apart from the cost of buying the rights to bury pipelines under privately-owned land.

It's not the answer. The answer is to reduce consumption, and eliminate waste. Water companies are spending billions on renewing ancient underground water pipes, and as a result substantial progress is being made with waste-reduction. Metering water is another positive step, but meters cost money, and progress in that direction isn't as fast as the suppliers would like.

All of us can reduce our daily water consumption if we try, and if we don't try those of us in the affected areas may find it being done for us quite soon, by way of supply rationing.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Metering of Water use is certainly a bit slapdash.

To my way of thinking it needs to be progressive.

Something along these lines, with Fines similar to the Water Bill of an Equivalent Property, for those failing to Fulfil their obligation.

Year 1: All properties with a Swimming Pool, Jacuzzi or Plunge Pool.

Year 2: All properties with 3, or more, Bathrooms/Wet Rooms.

Year 3: All properties with an External Tap.

Year 4: All properties with 2, or more, Bathrooms/Wet Rooms.

Year 5: All properties with a Bath.

Year 6: All remaining properties

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"To my way of thinking it needs to be progressive."

It is progressive, but not in the way you propose. That would be unduly expensive. Isolating properties with an external tap (for instance) would cost money just to get the data - how do you set about finding out how many houses in an area have outside water taps?

The water companies have a better way. Meters are fitted as a matter of routine whenever an underground crew has to do any work on a mains connection - although the water isn't necessarily metered at that point. All new builds automatically have water meters installed, ready for when the water supplier initiates metering in the area.

In addition, there's a rolling programme of meter installation. Whenever s street has its water mains renewed all the houses are automatically connected to a meter.

It's a piecemeal approach, but ultimately it costs less.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

"Metering of Water use is certainly a bit slapdash". Do you mean the installation of meters is a bit slapdash. Water meters charge you for the water you use. Use more water then you pay more. What could be simpler?

Isn't water metering available everywhere if required?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I don't kow about other water companies,but here in the Thames Water region you can request that a meter is fitted.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I don't suppose it is another ploy to put up the water rates again, they wouldn't do that-would they?.

Terry

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I must admit that my "Do the Richest first" credentials were coming through there. Because, in my opinion, they would have the weakest arguments when objecting to installation.

The External Tap bit was a sop to the Hose Ban Brigade and I was initially going for the details held by the Planning Dept, which should be fairly easy to access.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The richest though may not use the most water.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite