We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What's the most expensive piece of technology you own (excluding TV)?

PC Advisor

Likes # 0

Desktop PC's and Laptops were traditionally the most expensive technological items people spent money on; but times are a-changing.

We want to know what yours is.

Let us know in our poll: What's the most expensive piece of technology you own (excluding TV)?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

HTC smartphone that I don't use as a phone, but tells me where I am, a Fuji camera that tells me to get out more, and a jazz bass that keeps saying, try harder & don't give up the day job anytime soon.

I thought it would be a computer, but all of the above each cost more than that did.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

alan14 "the CCTV kit I just installed... although much of it was liberated from the repairs department at work..."

Is 'liberated' simply a euphemism for stealing?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I bought a new Sony DVD player just after the verboten holiday period and that was just £39.99, the one it replaced cost £350 8 years ago.

Modern high spec cameras have to be traded up yearly of will lose more than 3/4s of their value very quickly after that. Phones devalue even quicker, 6 monthly. Film cameras that used to hold a good value from the pro user to the amateur are now worthless.

I no longer upgrade or regularly replace a computer, I just buy what's needed at the time and keep it until it breaks or the OS becomes antiquated. They now keep up with the times for longer.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

badgery

Is 'liberated' simply a euphemism for stealing?

Nope, they were given to me by the guy who's responsible for WEEE disposal - it actually costs us money to safely dispose of electrical waste, so if staff take some home it saves us money.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

My most expensive item was my camera plus lenses, just short of £5000 and I'm an amateur!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

fourm member, picking up on:-

"I'm surprised no-one's talked about the difference between new price and current value"

I also purchased a 20mb external hard-disk (A590) for my Amiga 1000.

It cost me £250. (back in 1986).

20mb is not a misprint!

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Without doubt my camera/s plus associated equipment. Selling two of my lenses at secondhand prices would allow me to purchase several large screen TVs

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I'm surprised the FE has not disclosed the spec., or the cost of his Guitars..perhaps he is not happy for his wife to find out?

Like this post
denlong

Likes # 0

It's true that cars are bocoming High Tech what with blue tooth and electronic gear change.Spart from that my most expensive item has been the top Yamaha keyboard which I keep up to date every two years by trading in the previous version. The latest one is the TYROS4 which is retailing at roughly £3,500 with stand and speakers. Check it out on You Tube by looking for 'TELMO3190', or 'robbiedoes'.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I'm surprised the FE has not disclosed the spec., or the cost of his Guitars..perhaps he is not happy for his wife to find out?"

She knows, and she's fine about it. I'm not interested in knowing what every item of her clothing costs, and I don't think she cares much about the cost of my guitars. They're my indulgence, and I think she's happy that they make me happy. We haven't really talked about it much.

What did they cost? One of them cost quite a lot. The others didn't cost as much. Something I learnt very early on is that expensive guitars don't make you play any better. I just like handling them.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made