We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can we imagine what will replace Broadband?

wee eddie
Resolved

Likes # 0

As a Technology, it's well into it's Mature phase and, as yet, has no viable competitors.

Anyone got any bright ideas?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

4G mobile data is probably capable of providing ADSL speeds.

It's being rolled out across the US, and we should get it shortly

http://www.broadband-expert.co.uk/4g-mobile-broadband/

Like this post  
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

I'm sure that, as the coming years and decades pass, internet services will get faster and faster as new technology is introduced. At what point would one say that it was not broadband anymore but has become something else?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Alan: That's still pre-supposing "The Net" as a method of inter-connection

A bit like having a choice of Petrol or Diesel

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

"Silicon chip inside her head, gets switched to overload..." - Boomtown Rats.

With the advances being made in the fields of NANOTECHNOLOGY & GENETICS, it might, in the near future, be possible to construct and implant, extra sensory 'organs' into the human body.

It might sound a bit like science fiction, but breast implants (for women, who want them), are now common-place.

Brain Chip Implants are the next broadband. (HEADBAND)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

As thoughts can now be read and used to control such things as a wheelchair.

The next step is to broadcast thoughts wirelessly - we are then into something approaching telepathy.

Think then of the drivel we can spread round the planet :0)

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

wee eddie

That's still pre-supposing "The Net" as a method of inter-connection

I didn't see any mention of a replacement for "The Net" in your original post, you mentioned Broadband, so I was giving an indication of the next stage.

Broadband is actually a lose description for bandwidth, it's nothing to do with the technology it's connecting to.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Actually, I'm not altogether convinced that data speeds will get all that much faster. And by faster I mean by orders of magnitude. Because of the sharp rise in recent years of numbers and types of devices connected to the net and devouring bandwith in ever larger gulps, I fear the information superhighway will become akin to the real world highways that become ever more crowded (at certain times) as capacity increases.

Or to put it another way, we are faced with the red queens race, where you have to run as fast as you can just to stay on one place.

WTM

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I think that 'broadband' will be supplied via satellites in the future. Fibre optics will be for high spec machinery that require high and accurate fast response in the practical world. There will be no telephone cables at all.

Like this post
pabby

Likes # 0

rdave13

already been done. Biggest snag is the ping timings. Because a signal has to be beamed up and then down the delay is horrendous for gamers.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

pabby, at the moment it's been tried but we're talking about the future. Question is, will there be a need for 'ping' timings when future technology might not need it?

Wireless is at its infancy, I believe, and so is technology at bouncing signals off satellites. I still fancy satellites, wireless, over the ancient 'cable' technology.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...