We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Know anyone who's never used the Internet?

simonjary
Resolved

Likes # 0

Know anyone who's never used the Internet?

Over 15% of UK adults have never used internet

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I bought the last round; not my fault if you were in the gents!

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

The statistics from the link are intriguing and don't reflect my own snapshot of those around me. The report gives a similar snapshot extract and the figures don't quite stack up on their own.

I know a lot of people who have tried using the internet a few times, usually on another persons computer. Their grandkids for example. The fact that they have done so hasn't resulted in them either buying their own or continuing to use it. Presumably they would be classed in this survey as having used the internet!

I would agree that those over 60, who were working throughout the 80's and 90's as computers evolved and never came across it at work during the early noughties, are less likely to be even remotely interested in the internet unless they have family that are. I have several retired personal clients who do though and two are octogenarians!

The biggest group that I come into contact with are those of my own generation and between 50 to 60 years old. In my local the vast majority have kids or grandkids that use computers in their house but are put off from trying it over an extensive period. They simply don't feel comfortable and won't admit that their offspring know more than them. Typical comment would be "I don't understand it and I don't need it" or "the wife can use it so why should I?" (Same as a vacuum cleaner I guess)

Classic example would be a 50 year old who runs a small business that has a website that generates about a dozen online enquiries every week. It doesn't have an internet connection and neither of the three "Bosses" are computer literate. They simply rely on me to handle those enquiries for them. Even though it brings in custom for them they haven't the slightest interest in learning themselves.

On the upside for me though, I regularly get asked by non internet users to explain and show them how it all works and just occasionally they will take my advice and get their own computer - they rarely look back. I am pretty sure that they are more comfortable asking me rather than their own family for fear of looking stupid. The spin off is that whenever their family have messed up their computers is that it will arrive at my door.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...'those over 60, who were working throughout the 80's and 90's as computers evolved and never came across it at work during the early noughties, are less likely to be even remotely interested in the internet...'

Interesting point Taff™, What was the trigger that got the more senior PCA members into computing if they never came across them in their work environment?

I first came across them when I was still in the baking industry 25 years ago, and production calculations were automatically calculated for me from the orders office. Then I discovered that I didn't need to dark out the spare bedroom for wet photo processing anymore.

Like this post
robgf

Likes # 0

My mum and dad (in their 80s) don't have, or want a computer. My dad did work with them and has played with mine, but prefers doing something in the real world.

Mum was very interested in having a look at Ebay, but lost interest rather quickly, when she realised it was just a fancy version of the classifieds. I showed her how to look up recipes online and how it was great for gardening information etc. She quickly picked up how to use the computer, but soon lost interest, I think she regards the internet, like she regards TV, as a passing fad.

I suspect that a lot of older people and some younger (myself included) are a bit wary about ending up a "computer vegetable". You see them all the while, in real life and on TV, clicking away for hours, doing nothing useful, getting steadily fatter and immobile.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Hi Quickbeam! It's my own theory based on personal experience and backed up by the rest of my post. Personally I was around when Windows 95 launched and the company I worked for had a main frame. I was in a management position and had a PA or pool typists to type up my correspondence. The radical change came when I joined a small manufacturing company who had one PC (Purchasing) and an old Amstrad word processor. I persuaded them to buy me a PC running Windows 95 because we didn't trust Win 98 and I basically taught myself with some assistance from our IT consultant. In the late 90's I bought a home computer on dial up.

Other people of my age who didn't have a computer placed in front of them at work probably couldn't understand this revolution in the office. It was well into the noughties before anyone from the shop floor even had access to a PC, pretty much as your experience - someone from the sales office provided the information.

Now about that time PC's were very expensive, more so than today. In 2002 a desktop PC setup would be just over £1000. Laptops were out of the reach of most people. Here`s an extract from a report I wrote recently for a Society I am involved in:

"Back in 2002 there were less than a million people on broadband connections as opposed to dial-up internet. Typically a BT supplied (ADSL) package alone cost £25 - £30 per month and in addition line rental was payable to BT as well as phone calls actually made. A cable broadband connection from NTL or Blueyonder was cheaper at £20 - £25 available with separate charges for line and calls but was usually a bundled service with TV subscription offering Sky Sports and other channels.

Today the vast majority of ADSL connections are bundled to include line rental, a call package and broadband with a total cost of around £25. Virgin Media has now the monopoly on cable connections and the cheapest regular package available is £30 excluding any TV elements."

In 2002 our members numbered 336 and is pretty much the same now. Back then only 50% had an e-mail address whereas now only 17 do not. We assume that computer ownership reflects these figures.

Those who didn't come across computers at work and subsequently bought their own were undoubtedly led by other interests and the desire to keep up with technology. There are a big number of people who missed out. Even the relative cost of computers & internet dropping hasn't persuaded them to take the plunge and they now feel left behind I think.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's new OS X Beta Seed Program: Run pre-release versions of OS X on your Mac

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer