We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Know anyone who's never used the Internet?

simonjary
Resolved

Likes # 0

Know anyone who's never used the Internet?

Over 15% of UK adults have never used internet

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

I have several living near me. One refuses absolutely to have a computer in the house, another is simply afraid of it and yet others cannot / will not afford it.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

I have tried to encourage my mother but, she has no interest whatsoever.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

The usual excuse is "I don't understand computers"

One assumes they understand microwave ovens, gearboxes, televisions, radios etc!

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Many older people will never change their views on things while other will try anything.

I will never forget that the day they took the trams off the roads in Glasgow was the day my grandfather started walking everywhere. He absolutely refused to get on a bus. Mind you I made a few bob as a bookies runner taking his bets to the betting shop, did even better when he had the occasional winner. I never did pick up the habit from either my grandad or my father apart from the occasional bet on the grand national.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

But the grand-children are rapidly making up for the old folks who shun the new technology.

You are so right - My grandson, not yet two yrs old likes to play "Mr Tumble" on the Cbeebies site.

He gets upset if I'm out working and Granny can't switch the computer on for him. :0)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Have you ever seen a child under 5 with an iPad? They find it instinctive! Just a thought what does that say about iPad owners?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

In my experience, people who haven't used the internet are those who either consider themselves 'too old', or those who have decided that computers are too complicated for them.

Those of us who use computers as a matter of course might find it difficult to understand that for many people the very word 'computer' is enough to have them reaching for the tranquillizers. They make all kinds of excuses, but techno-fear is the real answer, more often than not. It's a great shame, because of course the rest of us know that those people are missing out - the internet is now such an integral part of the way our world works.

Everyone is entitled to live life without the internet - it's not an essential part of a normal, happy life....is it?

Like this post
Toneman

Likes # 0

Number one son has just drawn my attention to the MIT online course http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2012/mitx-offers-prototype-course-0213.html, don't think at my advanced years I shall take it up...

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

The sad thing is that many of these older people (not ageist, I'm 74 and entitled!) live alone and don't get out as much as they used to.

The internet opens up, or re-opens a whole new world, which would keep them stimulated.

I repeat what I have said before, the people on these forums are the ones I would be mixing with down the pub, if I could still get down the pub, and my life would be the poorer without it.

To reduce it to an even more basic level, I don't need Meals on Wheels as I can order on-line and bung it in the microwave, leaving the service for those whose finances and faculties do not allow this.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Mines a pint then morddwyd, you can send me the money online.

Cheers QB:)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks