We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Know anyone who's never used the Internet?

simonjary
Resolved

Likes # 0

Know anyone who's never used the Internet?

Over 15% of UK adults have never used internet

Like this post
Toneman

Likes # 0

But who has built a crystal set ...or a superhet?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Toneman

But who has built a crystal set....

Me and I used it to listen to Radio Luxemburg under my bedclothes at boarding school on a Sunday night when the top twenty was on!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

My dad. who's 78 has never used the internet, or a computer. He's got a quite basic mobile though.

His lady friend does have a laptop for Skype, Facebook (communication with her daughter) and ebay.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I have found that some older women are very keen on the internet, etc as they use it to keep in touch with family who live away using skype, e-mail, etc.

I know another person who had a laptop for a few years and now has got rid of it because of the hassle, of the worry of it breaking down. She knows that she may be disadvantage through losing out on on-line discounts but the overall worry and cost was not worth it.

I know too several others, mainly over 70, who have never used a computer and never will.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

But the grand-children are rapidly making up for the old folks who shun the new technology. I have grand-daughters who have used computers and the internet since they were old enough to sit up in front of one.

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

My brother-in-law. He's 80 plus and relies on my sister to dabble with the internet. He does have a mobile, though like me, rarely uses the thing, usually in the case of emergencies, but hardly ever as a conversation device. I get amazed at people in the street using mobiles. They would be better off just switching the thing off and shouting to the world at large. Once the thing is glued to their ear, they have to shout!!

TonyV

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

There are several people living near me who do not have internet and have no interest in it.

You know something? They manage happily without it. And I envy them.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

We internet users should be eternally grateful to those who don't use it and, hopefully will continue not to use it.

We internet users have access to reduced costs for on line shopping and reduced costs for arranging our services on line, a facility not available to non-users. They are subsidising our expenditure!!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Pine Man, ignorance is bliss!

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

Yes, my wife, up until very recently that is, now I can't keep her off the damned thing. She hasn't quite puzzled out how to use the credit card on line yet, I usually have a little list to order when I get home from work and boy, does she moan when I update the system and things have changed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?