We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Breakdown Services & Phone numbers

interzone55

Likes # 0

This post is prompted by something I noticed whilst changing insurance companies.

Why is it that all breakdown companies have 0800 & 0845 phone numbers?

When calling from a mobile these numbers are anything but free, and are not included in most call bundles.

It took me a long time digging through paperwork to find the geographical number for the breakdown agency used by my new insurer, as it wasn't listed on Say No to 0870...

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

alan14

Good point Alan why not contact them and ask them.Probably about 99% of breakdowns happen when you are mobile and not at home.

I suppose most folk are happy enough to phone as long as the breakdown truck arrives and moves them or in the odd occasion even do a repair.I suppose you could phone them and ask them to phone you back just say you do not have much credit left on the phone.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

I don't know if they still do, but the AA used to do that. If you told them you were on a mobile, they would take your number and ring you back.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I've not had to use a breakdown service for a few years (touch wood substitute desk) and so didn't realise this was the case, but have checking a few out they all seem to have 0800 & 0845 numbers.

Last time I used the AA I was stuck at night in a snow storm in the hills near Buxton and the call cost about £15 while they spent 30 minutes trying to locate me from the scant few landmarks I could see through the snow...

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

alan14 Wot no GPS co-ordinates grin

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

wiz-king

That is actually a very sore point.

The day before I'd changed my car, and left the sat nav in that car (luckily the dealership was honest enough to remove it and leave it to one side for me) and the wipers on the brand new car I was driving had stopped working in a snow storm...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback