We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

VW "Up"

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am thinking of buying a new car, the ash tray is full on my present one.

Seriously I am looking at the new model VW Up which comes on the market here sometime in March. I've looked through the specifications and read all the guff about it and it seems to be a nice little car. Apart from included items like heated seats and passenger air bag switches, luxuries such as cruise control and parking sensors can be added pretty cheaply. But one thing that puzzles me about it is that you have to spend extra to have a spare wheel.

Is this a modern trend? Are they adding luxury items but taking away necessities? Do other car producers do this too?

I had better have another look to see if it has an ash tray! I need somewhere to put my sweet wrappers.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

My last three cars have had "goo" instead of a spare wheel.

So far so good.

Prior to this I had only used the spare once in twenty years, and that was in the Co-op car park, hardly the back of beyond!

I hesitate to estimate how much fuel has been used carrying that dead lump of metal for 12K a year or more!

A mobile phone and a breakdown subscription make a flat much less of a drama that it used to be.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

No spare tyre?.

I seem to recall the day when they decided not to supply the starting handle, and the outcry that caused :O)

Regarding VW, have you considered Skoda (same company) which might be cheaper, some police forces and taxi drivers are well pleased with Skoda?.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

My first car was a basic model Hillman Imp. And in 1970 basic really was basic. It had no heater fan so in cold weather you took ages to warm the car up and could still have cold feet after a long run unless you upgraded from the wreckers yard like I did. Rubber carpets were the norm on basic models, seats didn't recline or adjust at all, you had to contort to the space the designer gave you. I think you needed to have at least a Jaguar or Rover for that sort of luxury and if you wanted electric windows and air-con, you needed to be looking at a Rolls Royce. Central locking... no-one had even heard of that then!

Strangely they all the Imps had a hole in the bumper for a starting handle, but not through the body work. Built in 1970 and scraped in 1976, that was also normal for a car that old then.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

spuds

Skodas are fantastic cars these days, the build quality is just as good as any other VW group car (except Seat, which are quite shoddy) and you'll find many VW & Audi badges on components - my Fabia Diesel had an Audi engine and VW suspension.

Like this post
dagbladet

Likes # 0

The Skoda version of the up!(lowercase and exclamation courtesy of VW not me) is the Citigo.

Skoda Citigo

Like this post
dagbladet

Likes # 0

Seat's version of the same car is the Mii.

Seat Mii

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Is there a Bentley version coming soon?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...it could be called the Bentley UpCityToff!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"Is there a Bentley version coming soon?"

If you had seen BBC Top Gear a couple of weeks ago,when Jeremy Clarkson and James May were doing a program from there, then there might be a great possibility of a Chinese version arriving soon :O)

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

A Chinese Bentley or an UpYingYang?

And can we expect Fiat to make an Up-Pompeii!

I'd better go now, the ground's thawed enough to do the spring weeding...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote