We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

VW "Up"

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am thinking of buying a new car, the ash tray is full on my present one.

Seriously I am looking at the new model VW Up which comes on the market here sometime in March. I've looked through the specifications and read all the guff about it and it seems to be a nice little car. Apart from included items like heated seats and passenger air bag switches, luxuries such as cruise control and parking sensors can be added pretty cheaply. But one thing that puzzles me about it is that you have to spend extra to have a spare wheel.

Is this a modern trend? Are they adding luxury items but taking away necessities? Do other car producers do this too?

I had better have another look to see if it has an ash tray! I need somewhere to put my sweet wrappers.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Spuds. One program I wouldn't watch is that Top Gear thing. Clarkson comes across as extremely arrogant to me. The whole program is aimed at nutters.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

The Bentley version would surely be an "upYous".

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Bingalau. I quite agree. It really annoys me that that programme only praises cars that most people cannot afford. Their childish blowing up of old cars and setting fire to caravans etc comes over as very arrogant. J Clarkson can be a very good and amusing writer, but I cannot believe how childish he is on occasions. BTW do get a spare wheel!

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

john bunyan. Spare wheel will be number one addition if it doesn't come as standard. I will use it as a bargaining point. No spare wheel and I will buy elsewhere etc... Glad someone else agrees about Clarkson. It surprises me the number of people who think he's the bee's knees.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Bingalau

There may be no where to stash a full size spare, the well in the boot of a small car often isn't deep enough, and to be honest a space saver wheel is no better than the repair foam.

How often have you changed a wheel by the roadside?

btw - if you don't like Clarkson, just don't watch him - I detest people who watch a program simply to be offended so they can write a stern letter to the Daily Mail, they're nearly as bad as the people who complain about programs they haven't watched.

Top Gear is entertainment, if you want car reviews watch Firth Gear instead, personally I find that program is badly made and poorly edited, the extra budget and access of Top Gear really shows...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The spare wheel will almost certainly be a space saver, but it'll be round and will roll. It's much easier to change a wheel than a gooUp! at the side of the road, that's messy and leaves the rim in need of a good scouring when the tyres is changed. Also most that use the supplied goo, never replace it, so next time they have a flat, they're Up! a gootree..

My VW Touran came with the goo and compressor option, but when I discovered that the spare wheel well was there anyway below the false floor, I bought a spare from the wreckers for peace of mind and it's been used 3 times in the last 4 years.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

morddwyd

If the Bentley one comes with the 530bhp 6.75lt V8 engine option, surely it'll be called the TopUp!Up!Up!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...and with all that power Bingalau would need a trailerful of spare tyres just to go shopping!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)