We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

VW "Up"

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am thinking of buying a new car, the ash tray is full on my present one.

Seriously I am looking at the new model VW Up which comes on the market here sometime in March. I've looked through the specifications and read all the guff about it and it seems to be a nice little car. Apart from included items like heated seats and passenger air bag switches, luxuries such as cruise control and parking sensors can be added pretty cheaply. But one thing that puzzles me about it is that you have to spend extra to have a spare wheel.

Is this a modern trend? Are they adding luxury items but taking away necessities? Do other car producers do this too?

I had better have another look to see if it has an ash tray! I need somewhere to put my sweet wrappers.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

They give you a bottle of goo and an air compressor instead, so I wouldn't worry until they say a steering wheel is an extra...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I must admit I'd never heard of it until now, the whole range is on the UP theme, but I can see a copyright problem cropping UP when they introduce the family size 7UP model:)

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I can also see a problem when someone says "Is that up yours"? or shortens it to just "Up yours"?

They are offering a spare wheel as an extra.

Like this post  
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Maybe they will add a steering wheel to the passenger side.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Personally I'd quibble about calling cruise control a luxury. If used properly it's incredibly useful, and can end up saving you a lot of money in fuel over the years. Especially as these days its just a few cheap switches, some wiring and (ecu) software.

As for the spare wheel, I suppose it's ok not to have one for local running about, but there's no way I would travel more than 100 miles from home without one, and to heck with the fuel penalties for dragging a heavy lump of one around.

But while I'm at it, to all forum users with cars :- when was the last time you pulled your spare out and looked at it? Does it still have air in it? Are you sure? I check mine once a month. It lives in a well inside the car (hate the ones underneath) and the valve is easy to get to. But a flat spare is worse than useless.

WTM

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

5 or 6 times a year, but I do have an electric compressor in the car, and an electric jack.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

if you buy one I hope you are with a breakdown sevice. One puncture and you need a tow truck. There is no way I would buy a vehicle that didn't have a spare as standard.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

My curiosity has been piqued by this, so I've just spent the last half hour looking at pics and reading reviews.

The conclusion I've reached from my far-from-exhaustive research is that no way would I swap our trusty panda diesel for one of these!

WTM

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The manufacturers know that no spare isn't the problem that a lot of us would see it as. Compared to 20 years ago even blokes now ring the breakdown services for a flat tyre as they have no more idea than the stereotyped hopeless woman drivers of 20 years ago.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...note how I slipped the word stereotyped in to try to avert what I'll probably be accused of anyway:)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: Video shows 'new, reversable iPhone 6 cha'......