We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Paint fumes & Onions?

Blackhat

Likes # 0

Having painted kitchen interior woodwork the fumes are unbearable, the best looking remedy I have come across is the Onion idea. get rid of paint fumes

My problem is that I cannot stand the smell of onions, any other suggestions welcome.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

if you can't stand the smells, why don't you open your kitchen window, close your kitchen door, and eat out for a couple of days. Or, if you have got a microwave and a kettle, then move them to another room, if possible.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Blackchat.. I thought that these days a lot of paint is water based. Too late for your kitchen, but was the paint you used water or solvent based? In the "good old days" I remember lead based paints thinned with linseed oil, and can, in my memory, smell them still! All you can do now is to run a fan and slightly open the window.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

A saucer with Vinegar in it left overnight does the trick and gets rid of paint fumes.

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

I wasn’t aware of water based paint for wood!

Fried bacon sandwich has made a great improvement but won’t last long, might try the vinegar overnight.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Re Water based. I believe even car paint is now becoming water based. Have a look at Dulux for their list for house paints: - other makers are similar

http://www.dulux.co.uk/advice/questions/faq/faq_050.jsp

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I wasn’t aware of water based paint for wood!"

Legislation was introduced in 2007 to place strict (reduced)limits on the amount of solvent used in paint manufacture, and at the beginning of 2010 those limits were reduced even further.

The paint industry has reacted accordingly, and most paint manufacturers are making only water based versions for the retail market. The vast majority of Dulux paints, for example, are now entirely water based, and before long you won't find any solvent-based paints on sale anywhere.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

tip no 1..... Too late now -- stop using old paint tins from the shed and buy some new!

tip No 2..... Don't use polyurethane varnish at the same time - the two smells combined are worse.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I should have said if a big kitchen use 2 saucers,If you painted today the smell of paint would probably be gone by the morning.No need to overfill the plate just about quarter inch at the bottom of it.

same with bedrooms.1 saucer for a small room and 2 for a large room.

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

*wiz-king * Bought paint last week, large retailer, didn't see any waterbased options.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Having just finished redecorating my study using water based paints I'm afraid that I found the smell of the new stuff just as bad if not worse that the old oil based paints. I think it also takes about a week before the smell from repainted radiators vanishes completely. Brush cleaning is a dawdle but I've given up on the little sponge rollers as cleaning them is still a nightmare.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...