We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Rhino 'Attacks' Zoo Staff

carver

Likes # 0

I just had to post about this Wild Rhino I know it's supposed to be serious but all I could think of while watching was that this wouldn't be out of place in a Monty Python sketch..

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It makes the annual pantomime horse look quite real...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

How did Gareth Hale get involved in this? (White-bearded-zoo-man)

...was Norman (Pace) bringing up the rear?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

"Stand still while we put the nets on, there's a good rhino"

:0)

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

It's got to be a wind-up or publicity stunt!.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Tangalooma_2006 never mind gave you some thing to talk about. So I gather you aren't into comedy.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

My experience of rhinos is that they can be very docile unless provoked. I was on foot in the Masai Mara a couple of year ago and came face to face with two of these creatures, I took a number of photos from just a few feet distance in fact I was so close at one point that with my 200mm lens attached I could only get the head of one in shot. The Masai Guide did say that he would not have allowed me to get so close if there were calf present.

Rhinos of the Masai Mara

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

My pet rhinoceros, gets upset, when visitors refer to her as the 'elephant in the room'.

Luckily, Jumbo has got a very thick skin.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

I loved the detail of the rotating ears and tail.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

In Japan perhaps the idea is not so daft. I mean what do you do if during an earthquake some large and possibly very dangerous animals escape from the Zoo? This was an earthquake practice so why not make it enjoyable as well as possibly instructive for those taking part.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

I'm quite sure that the same people who are rolling around with laughter at this would be the first to point the 'why on earth weren't the staff trained to deal with such a situation?' finger if a rhino got loose and injured or killed someone.

The sight of the four shuffling feet under the fake rhino did bring a smile to my lips, but rhinos are unpredictable animals, and one running amok in a crowded zoo would be anything but funny.

It can happen, in fact it did happen at the South Lakes Wild Animal Park in Cumbria in 1997. The rhino was shot dead, so great was the fear of it attacking people.

As Condom says, the Tokyo zoo is in an area notorious for earthquakes - the prospect of a large wild animal escaping as a result of earthquake damage might not be so far-fetched, and the Japanese are pretty nervy about such things for obvious reasons.

It got the zoo some free worldwide internet publicity at any rate.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad