We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I have just won a iPhone 4s ?.

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

Over recent months there have been a number of comments about advertising on the PCA forum website.

I notice now that there is a rather 'forceful' advert appearing, that informs viewers " Congratulations! You are today's iPhone 4s winner!" " Click on the 'YES' button below, to try to win before time runs out". You have the option to click a YES or NO button!.

Note the words winner and try!.

My question.

Are these the sort of adverts PCA should support?.

Are these type of adverts, lowering the tone and purpose of this website?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 1

Simon. Thank you for the response and update, much appreciated.

Like this post
James Hull

Likes # 0

@quiller

I laughed when I clicked on your linked and saw this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23788424/ironic.PNG

Like this post
¿ unsure ¿

Likes # 0

@ James Hull

Yes. I thought it quite ironic 2.

One of life's coincidences.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

No evidence of that advert here. Are you sure it is PCA sponsored?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I don't know about it being sponsored by PCA, because it appeared to be one of the 'normal' private advert, but it was on this website this morning, with a cursor flashing away, so possibly to attract you to the 'winner' offer!.

XP and Google Chrome.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

It was showing on my PC this morning, very annoying as the advert was flashing on & off. used adblocker to get rid of it

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Lots of e-mails telling me this, but nothing showing on this site, so far.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I use tracking protection (via Tools/Safety/Tracking Protection) in IE9 and the items I have on there seem to block such things.

Like this post  
hssutton

Likes # 0

I see the Iphone advert as now changed, I'm now getting a Wonga. com advert. will zap it with adblocker

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The reason why I posted, was not necessarily about advertising to gain the PCA website revenue, but because the advert had clearly stated "Congratulations! You are today's iPhone winner!".

Then you are invited to open a link to "try" to win the item.

Not the sort of encouragement, that one should expect from an advertiser or reputable magazine and website?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......