We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I have just won a iPhone 4s ?.

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

Over recent months there have been a number of comments about advertising on the PCA forum website.

I notice now that there is a rather 'forceful' advert appearing, that informs viewers " Congratulations! You are today's iPhone 4s winner!" " Click on the 'YES' button below, to try to win before time runs out". You have the option to click a YES or NO button!.

Note the words winner and try!.

My question.

Are these the sort of adverts PCA should support?.

Are these type of adverts, lowering the tone and purpose of this website?.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

No evidence of that advert here. Are you sure it is PCA sponsored?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I don't know about it being sponsored by PCA, because it appeared to be one of the 'normal' private advert, but it was on this website this morning, with a cursor flashing away, so possibly to attract you to the 'winner' offer!.

XP and Google Chrome.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

It was showing on my PC this morning, very annoying as the advert was flashing on & off. used adblocker to get rid of it

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Lots of e-mails telling me this, but nothing showing on this site, so far.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I use tracking protection (via Tools/Safety/Tracking Protection) in IE9 and the items I have on there seem to block such things.

Like this post  
hssutton

Likes # 0

I see the Iphone advert as now changed, I'm now getting a Wonga. com advert. will zap it with adblocker

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The reason why I posted, was not necessarily about advertising to gain the PCA website revenue, but because the advert had clearly stated "Congratulations! You are today's iPhone winner!".

Then you are invited to open a link to "try" to win the item.

Not the sort of encouragement, that one should expect from an advertiser or reputable magazine and website?.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

The sodding thing is flashing by the side of me as I type. What I think is highly dubious is that it asks for the PIN number for my mobile phone. WHY!?! It may be co-incidence, but ever since it appeared, I keep getting pop-up security warnings about this site!!

Like this post
Algerian peter

Likes # 0

£3 so they will send a text message to say you have not one. And they will keep charging till you tell them to stop.

small print

Service costs £3 per message plus your standard network rate. Winners will be contacted every first businessweek of the month, all question entries must be received before 00.00 on the last day of the month.This is not a subscription service. Minimum age 18+ with bill payer’s permission. One prize available per service per month.

Once a customer stops playing no more billed messages will be sent. Customer will receive a maximum of 2 free marketing messages. To stop these free messages, simply text STOP to 84459. Customer service: call 0800 4080785, email [email protected] or visit the website: www.djummer.com. Play the game on your mobile. The winner will be selected among all participants in the first business week of every month. When participating you acknowledge that you agree to the terms & conditions, you are a resident of the UK, 18 years or older and authorized account holder and/or that you have the consent of the accountholder. £3 per question. This service is a product of MobileMinded. Free entry method: send an email with your name, phonenumber, and prize you want to win to [email protected] Djummer is not affiliated with, sponsored by or endorsed by any of the listed products or retailers. Trademarks, service marks, logos (including, without limitation, the individual names of products and retailers) are the property of their respective owners

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

In other words, just the sort of ad the site should have?!?!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room