We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Are you old enough to remember?

Diemmess

Likes # 0

BBC Radio Gloucestershire this morning asked - Where were you and how did you learn of the death of the King?

I was finishing a kit build of a small radio and trying to align the insides with a strong signal.

In those days there was none better than the Droitwich 200 metres LW Home service with its huge transmitter power.

I switched on. All I could hear was a bong, and several seconds later another bell. Then at last a brief announcement of HM's death, which I must admit meant more to me in that the radio was working, than the death of George VI.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

I was an apprentice and heard it on Radio 1. They then played his records all day and night.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

bremner

:o)

Elvis has left the building.....

I'm little too young (just) for the other one.

Like this post
roy

Likes # 0

I was at my parents' home in Bristol on leave pending posting in the RAF. On returning to camp we were in mourning, wearing black armbands. As far as I can remember this was for six months.
Roy

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I was on my way to join a ship to the Far East. My marriage had to be brought forward and my honeymoon was cut short. I didn't see my wife again for two and a half years. Nowadays service people moan if they are separated for a few months. Back then it was the norm. (Oh yes, no phone calls, mobile phones hadn't been invented, the only contact we had was ordinary everyday letters).

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I never realised we had so many oldies using this forum... I thought it was only me, old Brumas and Macscouse.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bingalau

"I didn't see my wife again for two and a half years."

That's amazing - it must have been a dreadful time for you both, but possibly worse for her, waiting at home?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bingalau

I once posted a poll, asking people to indicate which age bracket they were in. The results were interesting - a surprisingly large percentage of those who responded were in the '55 to 65' bracket, quite a few were older.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

FE. Yes and when you think about it, at that time there were a lot more ships in the Royal Navy in those days. So the same thing applied to thousands of others serving on board ship. There were about a thousand crew on the ship I was on. The same system was used in the Commando units, I had only been back for a couple of years after two and a half years in one of those units too.

I do remember that some senior officers who could afford it managed to fly their wives out to certain places to co-incide with the ships visits. But I know that Young Joe and old Joe were unable to do so.

It was hard for my wife too of course, but we managed to survive another 57 years together.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I was at primary school and we were doing some basic gym work in the school hall to a school radio show when it suddenly went dead. After a few minutes it came back on again with something like "The King is dead, long live the Queen"

We were sent home at lunchtime but many of us had clearly had no idea who the King was.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I was at a maths lesson.

The teacher came in, announced the King was dead, and carried on with the lesson.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added