We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Snow snow, here we go.

Blackhat

Likes # 0

Just started in Birmingham, however, we are forecast rain for Sunday so it may not last long. According to BBC Weather we are due about 4 inches. If this is all we get this winter then we will have had a lucky escape compared to the last few winters.

Anyone having it bad?

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

A couple of inches in Kent.

More importantly, I am marshalling at a 10-mile cross country race in an hour. Two hours standing in the middle of a farmer's field like a scarecrow - oh joy!

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

only got a light dusting of snow but looks like its killed of our potted palms which had survived many prev cold winters

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Snow? What snow?

Beautiful crisp clear starlight night, and a fine sunny morning (Fife coast)

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Miserable day yesterday. Dragging a 34 ton trailer around. Told the boss it really wasnt a good idea to attempt a delivery with the weather closing in. was told it wasnt that bad (said someone sat in an office 50 miles away), and to get on with it otherwise they would be penalised by the customer. ended up rejected for being 15 minutes late (by someone who literally had their feet up on a desk with a cup of tea in their hands!)because of the snow. So ended up dragging it across some moors, that being the least hazardous route available. Ramsbottom to Horwich, 15 miles, normal loaded run time 35 - 40 minutes. Yesterday took 5 hours 40 mins. Lots of uphill with no option but to floor it with spinning wheels and a speed slower than walking pace. Downhills were far worse though! Locked into 1st gear, diff lock on, retarder brake on lowest setting, very gentle dabs of the brakes as I felt the drive axle 'bounce' as it broke free with the weight of the trailer pushing it. Definitely a 'clencher' moment. By the time I got to my destination I think my seat had all the appearance of a cornish pastie!.

A 15 mile trip, but by the time I arrived I had spun the wheels so much that I had clocked up 107 kilometers! And used so much fuel I was in danger of running out. unfortunately, in my efforts to clear a road junction (very, very, very slowly) I have clocked up a massive infringement of the drivers hours regulations because if the wheels are spinning then driving is recorded, even if you aren't going anywhere. I've recorded it as getting the vehicle to a place of safety and hope the ministry accept it if they come asking.

But.

I managed it without killing anyone, hitting something or needing recovering. All it cost was half a tank of fuel, 4 new drive axle tyres and 7 hours overtime.

Because someone thought they could look out of an office window and see better than I could out of my windscreen.

WTM

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Had to have a bit of a smile at 8.00am this morning. After the early morning snow, one of my neighbours decided to take her 'lapdog' for its usual morning walk. Nothing like seeing a well wrapped up woman, pulling a taut lead that seemed to have vanished below the snow line. I did notice that when the dog occasionally appeared, it had its coat and hat on, no snow boots or skis's though!.

Our dog's were let out in our enclosed property, and it was evident that they were having a field day. They just didn't want to come in. We soon put a stop to that though. Real cruel!.

Just looking out of the window, it appears to be thawing, but the sky looks very suspect. More snow on the way perhaps?.

Like this post
Bapou

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Is the beer in the Prancing Pony that 'Hot Totty' stuff which is causing some problems in the House of Commons Bar?

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

SNOW BALL FIGHT!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

WTM. Looks as if you have idiots as bosses and customers! Anyone who penalised a delivery which was a bit late in yesterdays conditions must be very small minded. Well done for effort!!.

I still find the Heathrow excuse for so many diverted flights pathetic (running out of grit, when this year has been far milder than the last 2), when Schiphol and Frankfurt with colder weather seem to be running normally.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

john bunyan

I don't know where you got the idea that Heathrow is running out of grit. The airport doesn't use grit on the runways, it can get into - and damage - jet engines.

They use de-icing fluid on the runways and taxi-ways - it's more effective for longer. A computerised monitoring system watches the levels of de-icing fluid (they use Glycol), and automatically orders more when it sense that the half million gallon storage tanks need topping up.

It takes about half an hour to de-ice each runway - there are 60 vehicles employed to do it - and of course during that period there can be no take-offs or landings. That causes delays on an airport that handles so many traffic movements - far more than Schiphol or Frankfurt.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

FE . I got the idea from BBC Radio 4 - maybe it was salt. See post on other thread. I take your point re flight volume at Heathrow, but there is an impression that Heathrow seemed less ready than many European airports , including Munich, Moscow and the others mentioned. I thought that night flights at Heathrow are few so overnight runway clearance and anti icing procedures would do more to alleviate the situation. However my travelling days were curtailed about 12 years ago so I am a bit out of date in these matters, and perhaps over critical..

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good