We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Credit Card/Debit card security- a ??

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Daughter E-mailed me with a familiar cry - Daaaad can you help me pleeeease.

Her car tax had run out and she was broke as usual.

So she E-mailed the reference number and I accessed it on line and proceeded to pay for 1 year via my debit card.

Her surname is her former married name and address is different, so I was expecting some sort of query/refusal from the online system- but there was none -it accepted the payment and the deal was done.

Does this then imply any one can use a card that is not theirs and redirect goods willy nilly?

As I type this I do recall some years ago my Credit Card was cloned from a filling station purchase and a Dell computer was purchased and delivered to an East London address- but here the bank were onto it straight away and telephoned me to say card stopped new on on the way.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I have been using my wifes debit card to do a bit of shopping for her (with her permission of course ) in various stores and have never ever been asked why the card was not registered to me.

Fair enough I know her pin number but it makes you wonder what sort of security checks that stores and shops have.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

The payment is tied to her car. This is a different situation to purchasing a good. That may account for the lack of any enquiry about differences in name/address.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

You were simply buying something for your daughter, a perfectly normal transaction.

With the relevant paperwork you could just as easily have bought her tax, with your card, in a Post Office.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

buteman

The security check is the correct entry of the PIN, that's all the shop is concerned with, if that's entered correctly then they get the money for the transaction from the issuing back - simple as that.

In the days of signatures things in theory were a bit more strict, but which shop worker diligently checked every signature - I know I didn't, although I always checked the gender of the card holder, and caught out a couple of people using stolen cards this way, one time I caught a girl using a card in the name of my neighbour who'd recently passed away...

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

alan14. The pin is only for in store use. For on line shopping they only ask for the 3 figure number on the back, so a stolen card could theoretically be used on line before the owner reported its loss. I did once get a query where my grand daughter used my card (with permission) to have a present delivered to her address, but I think there is a bit of a worry about this, as was highlighted on "Rip off Britian" on TV last night.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

john bunyan

I was responding to buteman, hence the mention of PIN

For internet shopping, most reputable sites will use multiple checks, for instance many sites use Verified By Visa / Mastercard Securecode to request a password that is set up by the card-holder the first time a card is used on an account.

Other sites will only deliver to the card billing address for the first transaction.

In the case of the original post, if there's a charge-back on the transaction the DVLA can withdraw the tax disc so there'll be all kinds of problems when you come to insure / MOT the car...

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Mentioning road tax, reminded me on an incident that took place about three years ago, when I tried to renew on-line with the DVLA. No matter the way I tried, I could not complete the transaction, using either credit or debit cards. Contacting the DVLA by telephone, I was informed that "this often happens". The person taking the call, then took the details including debit card information, and the transaction went straight through.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

VISA servers have some very sophisticated software running. They monitor your spending patterns,and if anything unusual is spotted you'll often get a call.

It happened to me a couple of months ago - my card provider called my mobile number to check that it was me who made a 'Card-holder not present' purchase over the phone. The person I spoke to said that the payment server had a slight suspicion over the transaction, so it flagged the fact on her screen.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite