We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Exploding QI bulb

SparkyJack
Resolved

Likes # 0

Visiting my chum one evening each the three of us chatting- Him his wife and me- cat asleep on the back pf the couch when we were shocked by a resounding BANG The room lighting dimmed by 50% a smell of buring, coils of smoke spiralling up from various loctions on the carpet, Chum leaping up desparatly clawing ar his shirt to remove it- drinks in hand spilled. What was it?

Behind my chums chair resides one of those father and son lamps - an up-lighter and reading lamp combination The up-lighter quartz bulb and cover has exploded, showering chards of red hot quartz everywhere.

This morning as I have one such I lowered the item to eye-level to inspect the uplight to discover a think layer of dust- which I cleaned off- was this a possible cause of the incident at my mates?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Don't know about they light but that is the first time for many a year I have seen the use of the word "chum", seems to have gone out of fashion.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I think this can happen if the bulb has been touched when fitting it.

The fingers leaves a film of oil on the glass which can cause it to overheat.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yes, but what happened to the the cat?

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

Hope it made it to the litter tray!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

A mouse (called Jerry) was obviously involved.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Said cat asleep on the back of the couch behind me did not even flinch- according to to Pat - my mats missus

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

A happy ending to this one Friend trook the whole assembly back to the shop and they replaced it- no haggle.

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

We have an uplighter which has one of the 4" long halogen style bulbs and one day there was a loud crack and the glass cover over the bulb had broken. The bulb had also expired though didn't explode. We also went back to the shop we bought it from and they gave us a new glass cover for the bulb with no quibble. It is perhaps a feature of this style of lamp and we need to keep an eye open for any problems.

TonyV

Like this post  
wiz-king

Likes # 0

SparkyJack Did they replace the dust as well? Or charge extra for it. grin

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

10 iPhone app exclusives that make Android users jealous