We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

So now we can freeze instead of being warm

carver

Likes # 0

It's funny I haven't seen this being shouted about forget global warming It seems that every week I am told that average temps are rising but now rather quietly the latest figures are out and it seems that they haven't gone up in years.

Suppose I'll have to dig out the thermal long johns again and sell the summer gear. Worst part is I just sold the snow shoes.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Even last year I used to wake up to ice on the inside of the windows. But once I got the engine started things got better.

WTM

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

The term "global warming" does tend to "raise an eyebrow" amongst those of us who can remember 1976 and 77!

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

How about 1939-40 and 1947-8 winters. Not only was it cold but nobody had enough coal or coke for fires. Rationing was still going strong in 47 too and of course hot meals were few and far between. But then we were sturdier and fitter than today's wimps. Don't get me started.....

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

We have at the moment one of if not the largest weather systems ever seen that is covring over half of the northern hemisphere. A area of high pressure centered over Siberia that stretches from the far west of Russia to the UK & to the far south.

We have had unusual weather patterns recently that are really messing up the ability to forecast weather due to the simple fact that prevailing conditions are not following scenarios that they have. Though we have a very limited proper record of pressure patterns across the globe as many measurements haven't really been done for instance over parts of Asia etc.

The computer models that are used are giving forecasters this year a really hard time.

I don't think we have sufficient information yet to make a proper assessment of whats happening. The frost fairs of the past would seem to show that extremes of cold that are not common at the moment, but fossil also show there have been huge variations in the past that may be caused by things that we yet do not understand.

For instance This pressure map & This alternate map show totally conflicting ideas to the extent I have never seen before. This is one of the computers that are unable to work out next weeks weather.

I think we have a lot to learn.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

The "Greenhouse effect" is, itself, just basic A-level physics. In fact, it's probably taught a lot earlier, these days. CALCULATING the effect, is a totally different matter. There are so many unknown variables, that a calculation is impossible. Any predictions are just that, a "best guess"!

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

Erm.. That's EAST of Russia not west. Oooops. BBC Video

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

It's probably that Nina person up to her tricks again.

Damned foreigners.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Lytro Illum release date, price and specs: Light field camera goes 3D

IDG UK Sites

Tim Cook says Apple aims to be best, not first, hinting that iWatch is coming

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

Fun film festival trailer plays with classic movie scenes