We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

So now we can freeze instead of being warm

carver

Likes # 0

It's funny I haven't seen this being shouted about forget global warming It seems that every week I am told that average temps are rising but now rather quietly the latest figures are out and it seems that they haven't gone up in years.

Suppose I'll have to dig out the thermal long johns again and sell the summer gear. Worst part is I just sold the snow shoes.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

We should all buy chestnut roasting braziers to cash in on the opportunity.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Well I have to admit so far this has been the warmest winter that I can remember,Maybe a lot worse to come mind you.

I remember the cold winter days and nights from 60+ years back and would not like to go back to them.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

As has been said before, the climate debate has been science led by politics without regard for independence. Even the way in which discovery claims are meted out, with claims being made which simply wouldn't be accepted by any other area of science research. There is no repeatability and only passing correlations of various observations with computer models.

It's noticeable that as more arguments are made that 'global warming' may not be as clear cut as first assumed, the term 'global warming' has been dropped in favour of 'climate change'.

If only people would argue for reduced oil consumption because of unsustainable use, and argue for less pollution because of effects on health and wildlife.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"cold winter days and nights from 60+ years back"

When was the last time you saw ice on the inside of a bedroom window, even in a non-centrally heated house?

It used to be quite common!

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

"When was the last time you saw ice on the inside of a bedroom window, even in a non-centrally heated house"

Day time temperatures were down to -9 deg in Harrogate last January

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I remember back in the early 80's,still using paraffin heaters at home.They gave off a great instant heat, but, overnight, the sash-windows would ice-up a few hours after the flames were blown out at bed-time...I can still recall the smell.

The heaters, each, had two glass bottle reservoirs of paraffin fuel which was purchased from a lorry on the street every weekend.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

Strangely paraffin heaters add water to the air. I can't remember the ratio per pint. That would freeze on the glass.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

peter99co

One gallon of paraffin can produce as much as 10 pints of water when burned in a heater. The amount of water is greater than the amount of paraffin because of the water vapour already in the air in the room.

All this extra water vapour condenses on any cold surface, which in the average room includes the windows.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

It's 35F outside, I have cavity wall and loft insulation, and PVC double glazing. The CH boiler is not running at the moment, and it's boiling in here.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"When was the last time you saw ice on the inside of a bedroom window, even in a non-centrally heated house"

!963 which was the last year we lived in a 'tween the wars semi in Bromley, we then moved to a new house in Cheshire that had oil fired central heating the following summer.

1963 was also a record cold winter, so I have the vivid memories of a 7 year old of waking with the hot water bottle stone cold under beneath a hundred weight of blankets, Jack Frost patterns thick inside the windows, the warm smell of the Esso Blu heater on the top landing and a Boxer dog cuddled up in my bed too!

When I looked through the frosted glass, Shortlands South station was at the bottom of the garden, and I would get an ghostly abstract image of the steam trains passing by with huge clouds of condensing steam billowing out into the cold morning air as dawn broke.

Halcyon days, excuse me while I wipe a tear from my rose tinted specs...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...