We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can Employer change my contracted days/hours?

Cara2
Resolved

Likes # 0

My employer (a large, nationwide retail company) is in the consultation period of changing contracted hours/days to include Saturdays. Having never worked weekends, I feel this will impact on quality of family life.

As a part-time worker do I have to accept this change as a done deal or loose my job - or can I succeed in contesting this proposal?

Anybody faced a similiar situation? If so, what was the outcome?

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Sorry to hear, however you sound young.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Cara2

Your contract can change annually whether part-time or full. If you feel aggrieved enough about it then resign. Companies don't make these decisions lightly and do look-out for their best producing workforce and will get rid of the not so good. They also face harsh times and if you wish to go to a tribunal, for one thing or another,then you will keep someone else employed for a while.

Good luck.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

It depends on what your original coontract says. had this tried on me once. Mine said I had to put objection in writing within 30 days. I did and refused change.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Kevscar,

With respect you worked for the public sector, I am right? Private sector and that is the real world.

Like this post
Cara2

Likes # 0

Am laughing - am not as young as I would like to be!

Consequently I am very 'old school' from the days when Saturdays were worked by Saturday girls which is why the idea is so alien to me.

Have worked for this particular company for 22 years. Suspect I may well not have much choice in the matter, aside from the 'mitagating(sp?) circumstances' aspect, which I will pitch.

All very unsettling at the moment. Thanks for replies.

Like this post
robgf

Likes # 0

Companies seem to be able to change your hours whether you like it, or not. My brother (works in logistics) was changed from the day shift, to the night shift. He disputed the change, but it was a case of like it, or leave.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

Your terms and conditions of employment cannot be changed without your agreement. Your employer, however, can insist that the change is necessary and that by refusing you have made yourself redundant. You can then take said employer to a tribunal and claim unfair dismissal.

However, by the sound of it, your employer is going through a consultation process. Make your reservations known regarding weekend working including your reasons why you feel you cannot. You may find your employer has flexibility within their work system to accommodate some people who cannot work at the weeends.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

rdave13 That was when I was working as a self-employed distributor.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

That's what trade unions are for.

Get in touch with yours straight away.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Kevscar

As you were self employed I guess you informed yourself that you wanted you to change your contract. After consideration you then told yourself that you would not be willing to change. After further consideration you then deciding to withdraw the change to yourself ensuring you did not take yourself to an Employment Tribunal where you could have been order to pay yourself for unfairly dismissing yourself.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK