We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ethernet Cable and WiFi

Ventad
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hows this!

My desktop is in the spare bedroom behind sliding mirror doors alongside was the router, to use the laptop two walls/rooms away in the livinroom (bungalow) I had to open the sliding doors to get a decent download signal about 8Mbps (on the desktop I was getting 12.4Mbps average).

So to stop having to go in and open the doors I purchased a 5mtr ethernet cable, drilled a hole in the bottom of the sliding door frame passed the phone to router and ethernet cable through the hole connected to the router now standing on a small box outside the cupboard 3" away from a radiator (which is on the wall between the living room and bedroom and yes I know we are told it will block the WiFi) but because I did not have a long enough telephone to router cable thats where it had to be.

I must now be using my radiator circuit as a carrier as I now get 12.4Mbps on average from both my desktop and WiFi laptop two rooms and two brick walls away. I have used the BT Wholesale,Broadband and Talktalk speed testers and they all give me the same readings within a few decemal points,and that is only moving the router 1.5mtrs as the crow flys from where it was. That I consider is some result seeing that I was resigned to only getting a WiFi of 8Mbps.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

"I was resigned to only getting a WiFi of 8Mbps"

I dream everyday of getting that speed, and I live within 200 yards of the exchange!!

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

ams4127

Sorry about that, I am approx a mile away from the exchange LLU, talktalk told me the maximum that I could get is 13Mbps before I swapped over from pipex in November seems they were right.

Like this post  
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Most mirrors are metal backed, which would block the signal.

If you have now moved the router the signal is no longer blocked.

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

morddwyd yep agree with that I had to pull the doors back to get a wifi signal and then got 8Mbps with two walls/rooms between but with a radiator blocking I get 12.4Mbps so I can only assume the radiator system is acting as an arial as there is no drop between ethernet and wifi

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

ams4127

If you're 200m from the exchange you should get a decent speed from most ISPs and around 20mbit/s from an LLU ISP

Check your exchange at Samknows and see which ISP offers LLU and move to them

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I am jealous,I've swapped ISP,live close to the exchange etc but the highest speed I get is about 4-5 Mbs & only during the early hours.When the rest of the town is "alive" my surfing speed drops to a crawl & I often feel it would be quicker to walk to the server with a bucket & fill it with the data I'm trying to download. :)

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

alan14

Thank you very much for that link.

It shows that the exchange is LLU enabled. It also shows that Talk Talk (CPW) is the only operator using LLU. I always understood that Talk Talk were part of BT, yet BT doesn't show up at all in the list of LLU operators.

I think I will give Talk Talk a call in the next few days and see what happens.

Once again, many thanks for the link. I am greatly obliged.

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

ams4127

I beleive you have to have phone and broadband to get LLU from talktalk, which is what I have

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added