We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

CAR KEYS

rickf
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi All, This may seem like a lame question but as I am on this page why not ask here. I have lost my car keys to a Volvo V40. Where can I have a set cut? I understand it's a rather complicated process as they have to be coded when cut. Also can I claim through my comprehensive insurance cover if it's worth it.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I lost a key to my Honda a few years ago. I found that I could only get a new one at the dealers and it was expensive. I reported the key lost to the police but the key never turned up.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Woolwell

When I did stints on the front desk at a police station, any keys that were brought in were put in a box, and anyone who had lost a key was asked to sort out a possible key from the box. If there were any labels handy, then the key's might have the location the key's where found.

The same applied to empty wallets and purses, which street cleaner's usually brought in on their way back to the local depot, after they had completed their shift. On rare occasions, those handed in by other member's of the public, ended up in the same box. If the wallet or purse had identification, then that person was notified. Perhaps surprising how many people didn't seem interested in collecting their belongings!.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Remember the days when you just jotted down the number around the ignition barrel in the dash and got a ready cut key off a big keyboard at the dealers?

It was so much less bother for car thieves then:)

I used to work at a car dealers many years ago,& was instructed to ask for identity before firing up the key cutter.We would also save time by popping into the showroom & grabbing a key for same make of car which invariably worked the door locks if they'd simply locked the keys inside.I was amused by the variety of items that would work the door locks on 70's cars,lolly sticks,or any flat bladed item would gain you entry.No wonder my Dad never locked his old Vauxhall. :)

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Great News! Just got message from TFL that they found my key and fob. I am over the moon not simply because it saves me £300 and lots of time, it has reinstilled my faith in humankind. I thought it was a really bad start to the new year but now it's turned around. I am chuffed.Maybe more good things would come in the following days and months.

Like this post  
Bingalau

Likes # 0

rickf. Great news, Don't lose them again! Why not try negotiate with the car dealers to send you a spare set. Or if possible get a new set made from the originals by someone who can copy keys and codes etc. It's always handy to have a spare set.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

You're lucky to have a car that's got a key - Mini's have a round disk you pop in the dash - doubt I can get one of them at Timpsons.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

I was lucky enough to get a Morris Minor in 1955. A friend bought a Ford Popular at the same time. The keys were identical.

We have an old Mini and a Honda Jazz now. I am sure that a paper clip would open the doors on the Mini and I worry about the six year old batteries in the Honda Fob.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Hi, I have a spare which was what I have been using in the interim. Now I have two again. Try my best not to loose it again. Lesson well learnt. On the day I had to get home to Oxford bt train to ciollect the spare, then down to London again to paick up the car. Took me over 5 hrs, hrs that I will not easily forgetThanks all for your contributions

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

rickf - that's great news that your keys were found and handed in.

Tonight, I found a set of keys, (including a car ignition key with a little lion on it), on the pavement, near my home. Fortunately there is also a plastic Tesco clubcard on the keyring, so when I hand it in to a local store tomorrow, the owner might be as lucky as you were, and get their keys back.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Congrats on getting your keys back.

For what its worth, I used to have an old clunker of a fiesta ( a T reg base model with no frills) that I used as a spare car and for teaching the kids to drive. I only had the one key for that too, and after finding out that a second chipped key would cost me a significant percentage of the cars value I got 2 non chipped keys cut for $7 the pair, dismantled the steering column, taped the original key inside so the chip would work the ECU and ran it on the unchipped keys, while investing in a krooklock. A slight risk, I know, but an economical and acceptable solution to me. I should point out though that the car didnt have any remote fob functions.

WTM

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do