We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is Google spamming the world?

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Or has my name come out of the hat?

I've got an announcement from google in the form of an email titled 'Changes to Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service'. I'm not going to go into the content, but I have recieved this on every single email address I own, in a variety of domains. And I dont even have a Gmail address!

Has anyone else noticed this?

WTM

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Anyone who at any time has provided an email address to Google will have received the same email - I certainly did.

There's nothing sinister about it - Google is simplifying its privacy policy and terms of service.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I'm not saying there's anything sinister involved. I'm picking up on the fact that every single one of my email addresses has recieved this email. Even the spare ones that I have never, ever used.

WTM

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Not one of my e-mail addresses have received this, including my GMail address!

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

D@ve - your not high on their list, they will catch up - you cant hide forever! (sound of 'Jaws' drum roll)

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I've had a Gmail address since they opened the Beta program in 2004, so I'm fairly high up their list.

I also have a google+ account and a google checkout account

I've not had this email, I'm feeling left out - I think I'll check the Spam folder in case Google have been caught by their own trap...

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

You don't have to have a Gmail address a lot of the ISP's like Virgin Media use Google for their email server these days.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

*alan14 *, you sometimes get a popup on the top right hand side of Google's search page.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

*WhiteTruckMan *, not had it in Live mail yet.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I find the new "improved" Gmail layout so abysmally user unfriendly that I probably wouldn't be able to pick it out even if I did get it!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

morddwyd, and here's me thinking it's just the same as the old one but with a bit more colour (red).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more