We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Anti-Virus & Androids (Not Mr Data)

Input Overload

Likes # 0

I was reading a mail tonight from PCA regarding risks using the Android operating system among others on smartphones. I have the complete version of Webroot SecureAnywhere which is a cloud based AV derived from the same base as Prevx - I think it's rather good actually.

This version covers 3 PC's & 3 mobile devices & was thinking about installing it on a HTC Desire & also a Samsung of my daughters.

Most people seem to think this is way OTT & I'm paranoid. The mail was from a report it seems from AVG who maybe have an interest is getting users to use AV on mobile devices?

Does anyone else use AV on a smartphone or the like & has anyone had issues with phishing etc?

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

I use AVG on my Android phone, got a bit concerned after reading reports of dodgy apps. Using it for a couple of months with no issues.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

My doctor thinks I'm paranoid, well he's never said it, but I know that's what he's thinking...

By the way, no intention of installing AV software on my phone - what's the point I never open attachments in emails on my phone (which are scanned by Google anyway, so are clean), I only visit about 4 different sites on the phone browser and don't install apps without checking them out first

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

Going to try it on the HTC later as the 'owner' is liable to install anything from anyone.

If it causes hassle I'll remove it, it won't cost me anything. Then if it works OK I'll move on to the Samsung. thanks for replies :-)

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

There are quite a number of free antivirus apk utilities on the Android market place, so even if the risk is minimal and provided the resource overhead is small then there is everything to gain and nothing to lose

Cheers HC

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Photoshop for Chromebook: a full version of Adobe's art & photography software will be streamed to...

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK