We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wooden nesting boxes for nesting birds...

Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...I bought 4 of them today from Lidl...the ones with a little hole at the front, just bigger than a 2p piece.

Can I fix all of them to a big tree (twin-trunked), which is ideally situated at the back of my flat?

I have read the instructions, but was just wondering if the birds would mind their potential homes (nests) being close to each other.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Thanks muddypaws - I finally fixed three of the nest boxes on three seperate trees, I think they are all suitable for very small birds.

As regards the blackbird singing...I am planning to record the joyous sounds that visitor makes, with a minidisc recorder, possibly left overnight, in a dry spot.

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

one thing I will add is if the box has a removable or hinged lid, screw it down so wind does not blows it off or cats get in at the young.

Noldi

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

thanks Noldi, the nest boxes are secured to the trees about 4m from the ground,solid, and I will remove, clean and replace them next winter.

If only I had an AUPAIR to look after my eggs. (scrambled on burnt toast...would be very acceptible) 'n' an nice mug of Colombian coffee.(Black)

Like this post
Macscouse

Likes # 0

AitchBEE - The RSPB website allows you to identify, and listen to the song of each bird.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Macscouse - I want to do my own bootleg version.

"Blackbird singing in the dead of night....."

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer