We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Question for Kindle / eBook reader owners

interzone55

Likes # 0

Something we've just been discussing at work.

If you own a Kindle / Kobo / Sony reader, so you still buy dead tree books?

Despite owning a Kindle for a few months now, and being a total convert to the concept, I still buy, and read, paper books, although I don't read them fast enough.

On Sunday I bought two more books, one a remaindered book from The Works, and the other was the current £2.99 deal with the Sunday Times. These have been added to the growing pile next to the bed. One I'll read as soon as I've finished the current book I'm reading on the Kindle, the other will wait for a while as I'm not in the mood for it.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

john bunyan

My apologies - I have the 3G Kindle, and that did come with a charger. I guess you have the new, £89 model without keyboard, and that one is obviously charged via a USB lead. I wasn't aware of that.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Bingalau

Give me the moonlight,

Give me the Kindle

And leave the rest to me.

Doesn't seem quite right to me.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"The tax only adds a small amount."

Current tax rate is 20%. That is one fifth of the total.

A price increase of one fifth may only be a small amount to you, but I suspect that it won't be for most people.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I have a kindle app on my mobile,and have resumed reading to pass the time at work.I have lots of "spare time" simply sat in my car & used to amuse myself watching the world pass by(boring in a car park at night,especially as its quiet since christmas)I am now consuming ebooks at the rate of 1 per week,sometimes 2 though the books installed by the shop(8)have just 4 I found interesting enough to retain my interest.I wont be downloading any more directly to the phone as I dont possess a credit/debit card & I prefer to discover something about a book before I buy it,there are thousands of titles in the "kindle store" but no information other than author/title & price.I login to PCA on my phone as several members have kindly posted links to free ebooks,and I'll download them to my desktop,have a quick read to see if it holds my interest before sending it to my phone.I've also joined the local library in the hope of "loaning" ebooks,though that was a revelation as I googled our local library & found myself "in" one in Tenessee. :)

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

ton

That's one example, and it's not a book I'm interested, so wouldn't have noticed the price.

Amazon doesn't have total control over Kindle pricing, a certain amount of the price is down to the publisher, so if the publisher of those books doesn't discount the e-book versions then there's not much Amazon can do, especially as there's 20% VAT to add to the price

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

there are thousands of titles in the "kindle store" but no information other than author/title & price.

Not so in my experience. There is a product review, frequently several customer reviews, the facility to "look inside" the book and even the facility to download free a sample of the book, much more in reality than choosing a book off the shelf.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

ton

""That's because the government has decided to tax them".- No it isn't. The tax only adds a small amount."

20% VAT (that's a whole 5th), on ebooks isn't a small amount of tax in my mind. As the link makes clear, it's a thin end of a wedge that will see VAT on books the norm once printed books become extinct next month.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"printed books become extinct next month."

What's that all about? I haven't heard/read anything about it.

Also is it true that Amazon are VAT registered in Luxembourg, not the UK and Luxembourg VAT on all books is 15%. Anyone know how or if that alters things?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Some of you seem to be in a state of confusion over the Kindle book VAT situation.

The first thing to note is that all Kindle book prices shown on the UK site already include VAT at the Luxembourg rate.

Luxembourg authorities have said said they would apply a “super-reduced 3% VAT rate” on electronic books as of 1st January 2012. Amazon has previously told its customers that Kindle content is subject to VAT in the EU, and that all prices shown in the Kindle Store on Amazon.co.uk currently include Luxembourg VAT at a rate of 15%.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

I was thinking a bit more about Chegs ®™ post and my response above.

The one thing that would be a huge improvement on Kindle in my opinion would be that the short description of the book available on Amazon Kindle Store would also be downloaded to the Kindle, might look like a potentially good read when downloaded but months later nothing but book name and author on the Kindle and I would certainly have forgotten by then!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad