We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Question for Kindle / eBook reader owners

interzone55

Likes # 0

Something we've just been discussing at work.

If you own a Kindle / Kobo / Sony reader, so you still buy dead tree books?

Despite owning a Kindle for a few months now, and being a total convert to the concept, I still buy, and read, paper books, although I don't read them fast enough.

On Sunday I bought two more books, one a remaindered book from The Works, and the other was the current £2.99 deal with the Sunday Times. These have been added to the growing pile next to the bed. One I'll read as soon as I've finished the current book I'm reading on the Kindle, the other will wait for a while as I'm not in the mood for it.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

Make sure any charger has a maximum output of 5 volts or less. I am pretty sure I have read that in the specs. I got a MasterPlug double usb mains adaptor from Sainsburys for £7 approx recently. Last week-- it was £4 approx.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Just found this book that's unlikely to be available in Kindle">http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Stage-Military-Coup-Execution/dp/1848325037&h=DAQHz2dtRAQFszj8UcI9AgmqzpyjKjmfY-BbAysb5UwIwIA">Kindle format

I'm tempted to buy it just to see if it's real

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"books from kindle store are now frequently more expensive than the paperback version which is wrong!"

That's because the government has decided to tax them.

Hardbacks and paperbacks are tax free.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

alan14 - Not available as an e-book but it is real. Published in 2009 and contains history of coups.

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

"books from kindle store are now frequently more expensive than the paperback version which is wrong!"

"That's because the government has decided to tax them".- No it isn't. The tax only adds a small amount.

The publishers (or whoever) must be taking a much larger profit than from a paper book.

I wonder if they are trying to protect the bookshops ??

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I'm struggling to find a Kindle book that is more expensive than a paperback.

You often get Kindle books that are more expensive than the hardback when it's just been publish and on promotion, but once the standard paperback is out Kindle books are almost always (as far as I can tell) cheaper

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

You might have a point alan14, example http://tinyurl.com/85pjdyd

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Paperback vs Kindle

If you look at this list, there's only two instances where the kindle is listed as more expensive than the paperback, one is where the paperback isn't published yet, so the Kindle book is at Hardback price, and the other is only pennies more expensive

http://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Grisham/e/B000AQ40M8/ref=nttathrdppel1

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

"'m struggling to find a Kindle book that is more expensive than a paperback"

What? There are lots of examples of the Kindle edition more expensive than paperback.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Feast-Crows-Book-Song-ebook/dp/B004P1JEXE/ref=zgbs279254_7

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I had already bought my "Dinosaur" partner a new Kindle, because I thought this is one gadget that she will like. (I was right, she loves it in spite of calling on me occasionally to show her how to do certain things with it). Then I decided to get one for myself as a Christmas present in 2010. I ended up getting a re-furbished one from Amazon and I have no problems whatever with it.

Like the FE I bought a cover for it thinking of protection in pockets etc. Also like him I wouldn't be without it. It has caused me to take up reading again and on holiday last year I read eight books in ten days. No way could I have carried that amount of books with me. I have read a lot more (48 now) than the FE but that is because I do not have a job to go to and so have lots of reading time. I have just finished reading the trilogy starting with "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" etc. I enjoyed those three but thought they were a bit long winded at times.

I also bought a reading light for use in bed, but found it useless. There are more expensive ones which run off the power in the Kindle, but as they are in the £50 region and also get poor reviews I haven't bothered. Maybe someone knows of a good lighting device?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)