We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Question for Kindle / eBook reader owners

interzone55

Likes # 0

Something we've just been discussing at work.

If you own a Kindle / Kobo / Sony reader, so you still buy dead tree books?

Despite owning a Kindle for a few months now, and being a total convert to the concept, I still buy, and read, paper books, although I don't read them fast enough.

On Sunday I bought two more books, one a remaindered book from The Works, and the other was the current £2.99 deal with the Sunday Times. These have been added to the growing pile next to the bed. One I'll read as soon as I've finished the current book I'm reading on the Kindle, the other will wait for a while as I'm not in the mood for it.

Like this post
Marko797

Likes # 0

I got one of the new ones at a 'certain time of the year'; really pleased with it.

One thing I have noticed is that (or maybe it's just this book I'm reading) there are alot of errors in the book, "I"'s where exclamation marks (!) should be, problems with "spoken" bits, and other minor, misplaced 'strange' bits. Apart from that it's fine, but have found I have to re-read something sometimes to make sense of what the author is trying to say. Chapters are another area, I always thought they started on a new page?

Just for info, Tescos are currently doing a £10 off making it £79.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Al94

If you are connected to the Net on your Kindle you can download the book description from the Kindle store - not as convenient as if it were downloaded at the same time as the book I know...

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

Having had my Kindle v4 for a few months now, I cannot see myself buying another paperback fiction book. I would not dream of using an e-book for factual content, such as a gardening book though. Colour and pictures do not translate well to the Kindle format.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

That's a good point QuizMan, I wouldn't want an e-reference book either.

E-readers don't lend themselves easily to flicking through for a specific page of information. PDF instruction manuals on a computer are as near as I would accept that. that.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I don't know where that 'that' came from, that surely is a mystery that is, is that not?

That's all, if that's OK with you...

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I noticed early on that my kindle had an experimental web browser on it. I was pleased until I actually decided to try using it. However, if a touchscreen could be put on for a few pounds more then it might make a viable cheap browsing tablet.

WTM

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I hope they don't go and change it by adding what I think is called "Apps" I like mine for downloading just books quickly and easily. It is simple to use in it's present format and the only improvement I would approve of would be the addition of colour for the occasional picture. I wouldn't like it if it ended up as the modern mobile phone has, all sorts of other add ons. I only use mine to make phone calls. I only want a book reader to read books. Yes I know I am a miserable dinosaur, but I am proud of it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer