We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Question for Kindle / eBook reader owners

interzone55

Likes # 0

Something we've just been discussing at work.

If you own a Kindle / Kobo / Sony reader, so you still buy dead tree books?

Despite owning a Kindle for a few months now, and being a total convert to the concept, I still buy, and read, paper books, although I don't read them fast enough.

On Sunday I bought two more books, one a remaindered book from The Works, and the other was the current £2.99 deal with the Sunday Times. These have been added to the growing pile next to the bed. One I'll read as soon as I've finished the current book I'm reading on the Kindle, the other will wait for a while as I'm not in the mood for it.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

I can't pass my local charity shop without looking through their bookshelves and I have also bought 3 for £5 in a deal at The Works. Although I enjoy my Kindle I still like the feel of a book in my hands. A bit like using plastic as a way of purchasing is a totally different feeling to handing over £20 notes, I never really feel as though I have spent anything when I use plastic.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Still read more paper books than electronic ones.

Carry technical docs in electronic format and kindle for when working awy from home (less to carry) surprising how many books you can get through when you can't watch TV (either no signal or in a language I cannot understand).

At home I very rarely read electronic books instead like a hard copy.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Since I became a Kindle user I haven't bought a single paper book. I've been given some as presents, but all my purchases are now of Kindle books. The Kindle is an amazing device.

I'm reading more books now, too - 37 of them over the past year - and I can see that trend continuing. It's just so convenient, being able to travel with a couple of hundred books and dozens of documents, all on one simple and slim device in a jacket pocket. I've saved money, and the planet is going to have a little more timber than might have been the case - everyone (except the paper manufacturer) is a winner.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Yes.

I've only had mine for about 3 months (birthday present), and I dumped a load of free books on it to see if I could get on with it. SO far so good, but I still prefer the old way, and I have series of books that I am following that I want to carry on in paper.

Also, I'm still wary that my kindle is too fragile to take to work with me, and as it involves long periods of waiting a paperback is always usefull

WTM

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I'm still wary that my kindle is too fragile to take to work with me"

I had the same worry at first. I have two Kindles, and one of them travels wherever I go. It has been dropped - several times - subjected to tropical sun for hours on end, splashed with Coca Cola, and chewed by an 8-month old baby. It has survived all that, so now I worry less. The most vulnerable part of the device is obviously the screen, and the first thing I did was buy a leather Kindle cover. It feels very robust, and adds little in terms of weight/thickness.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

FE Does one need a charger for the Kindle? Would an iPod charger work on it- the one with the USB slot.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

john bunyan

Yes, and I imagine so.

A charger comes with the Kindle, and I always think it's a good idea to use the charger that comes with the device.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I didnt get a charger. All I got was a usb lead. Ok, this charges it if plugged into a usb socket, but thats not the same.

WTM

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

The latest kindles don't come with a charger, just a USB cable to charge from pc, my Sony Ericsson phone charger does the job nicely.

One thing that is starting to bug me is that books from kindle store are now frequently more expensive than the paperback version which is wrong!

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I still have both ~ about 500 paperbacks/hardbacks in stock in the living room, a lot of which wont ever be published in e-format, many of them textbooks dating back to the 1800's. I have about 100 on the Sony e-book reader.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded