We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Solar Storm

Input Overload

Likes # 0

BBC News Report

Has anyone seen strange lights in the sky?

I did look late last night for the aurora but north from here is in the direction of Sheffield only 10 miles away & lots of light pollution. So I'm off to the hills later tonight if its clear though it's not looking too good weather-wise though. Grrrrrrr.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Apparently the Aurora was visible in Whitely Bay yesterday evening. How far south it will be seen I have no idea, but I think much further south than the north of England, even for a 'big' display could be pushing it.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

Paul Hudson our local BBC weather presenter seemed to think there was some chance but I think the weather is against us at the moment. Some info from his blog here regarding it.

The main problem is light pollution at the moment which spoils most astronomical events. I do like lit motorways though when driving at night.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulhudson/

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

10 miles south of Sheffield would put you in Chesterfield. Nothing wrong with Chesterfield.

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

Input Overloaded

Don't know what your problem is....a quick sprint up onto Kinder Scout and Bob's your uncle. After all, what's a little snow and gale force winds - try not to fall off the Downfall, though :-)

Seriously though, good luck. Not a chance of spotting anything down here in Brighton but I hope you manage it. I saw the Lights once in Sweden and they can be breathtaking

PS if you're going to wuss out re Kinder () you might want to try Bretton Moor above Eyam. You can drive up onto it and light pollution certainly won't be a problem. Once again, Good luck and if you get a photo, post it where we can all see it.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

@Graham*, just outside, only just :-)

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

I did think of driving to the top of the A57 not far from Bleaklow up there.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Surprise View is recommended click here

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I have seen some strange lights in the night sky whilst delivering takeaways to the more remote villages here in the north west of england,some have been identified via google on my phone.Apparently,Sunday was a good clear night & unfortunately I wasnt working so missed it but chatting with the driver who was working that night discovered that the Northern Lights were visible. :(

With luck,I'll see them eventually.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED