We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do you fancy becoming a book reviewer?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

Here at PCA we receive lots of technology books for review, and to be honest we're all so busy being busy that we don't have time to read them all.

We thought that some of you might be interested in reading a book, writing a review on it, and seeing your name in lights (well, ordinary text anyway). Don't worry if writing isn't your forte, we'll soon polish up your text. The main requirement is that you are prepared to read the book completely and let us have your impressions.

If you're interested, email me,and we'll see how we go. I'm not promising that everyone will get to review a book right away, but we need to know how many of you are happy to get involved.

Write to me at: [email protected]

Like this post
gardener

Likes # 0

How 'tech savvy' do I need to be?

Like this post  
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

What size font will you use?

But to save me any embarrassment over cruel rejection, I fear I don't have the aptitude for the subject anyway:)

But if you need any fantasy fiction reviews doing, I am the one by far...

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Is this actual hardback/softback book reviews, or kindle?.

And do you get to keep the 'book' afterwards, as a reward for all the time and effort?.

Personally I won't be putting my name forward, Amazon are competing for my reviewing services :o)

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 0

Yes, you'd get to keep the book afterwards.

We'd be looking for a decent level of technical knowledge but some books will be written for beginners so the level of acumen needn't be boffin level.

For instance if you were to review a Windows 7 book we'd expect you to be a competent W7 user but you don't need to work for Microsoft!

We're looking for a decent overview of the book and your opinion on whether it serves its purpose and is worth the money.

Simon

Publisher

PC Advisor

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Thanks to those of you who have contacted me. I haven't had time to acknowledge receipt to each of you, but I'll be in touch shortly.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

If they were non-techie type boks I would be delighted. But as far as computers/tablets/net-books/mobile phones etc., are concerned I still consider myself a beginner.

Any good westerns or murders, put me down...

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

That's bumped it up to the top for you again anyway.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I was thrilled when asked to look over/spellcheck/and give my opinions on a book which an acquaintance had drafted, before hopefully being accepted for publication.

I only know about real books ... e-books are not my forte.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bingalau

As Simon said, in his earlier post, "We'd be looking for a decent level of technical knowledge", although you don't need to be a propeller head.

All the books will be technology-related, and will tend to deal with a specific subject. You might find yourself with a book on desktop publishing software, for example, or how to set up and configure a small office network with Windows 7 - that kind of thing.

Books are aimed at people with varying levels of computer literacy.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad