We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do tech firms assume too much?

Fruit Bat /\0/\
Resolved

Likes # 0

This question stems from a thread in the helproom here

The Kindle appears to need a wireless network available before it will function properly.

Is this true of other technology in today's integrated world?

My mp3 player for instance would be useless if I didn't have a PC to download the tunes too and transfer across to the player.

Gone are the days of standalone equipment?

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

If you have an internet connection & that don't cost much these days wireless connectivity is really a must. An alternative is to join the nearest Amish community? If you can't or just don't want to keep up with things I feel life is going to become more difficult, its far easier to accept the situation than stick to old ideas.

I was just adding up what is on this home connection:- 3 laptops, desktop, PlayStation, 3 smartphones, Wii box, printer & Tivo.

Others who visit (children etc) who have smartphones & netbooks & the like connect auto when they walk through the door & yes the connection is protected via a decent password.

All are connected via wireless other than this desktop. My mum who is no spring chicken has her phone & laptop using wireless with few problems.

I don't see what the problem is?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Input Overloaded - you clearly do not live in a rural area where broadband performance is very poor. Sharing bandwidth with multiple devices would reduce the service even further. There are people in such areas that are disadvantaged. They would like to have all of the options.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

Woolwell I do take your point.

Though I am at the fringe of ADSL as I live in a village, I was however able to take a fibre connection (this cost me an arm & a leg to get running) Though you really don't need a really fast connection at all for the likes of a Kindle though.

What you do need is setting a router up correctly, placing it in the best position & optimising your connection to get the best out of it. Most pubs have a reasonable wireless connection & there are many ways to get what you want.

A smartphone, Kindle etc work fine with just about 'any' internet connection & that is really what this thread was about I think.

Programs are easily copied to an external hard drive if you have no CD drive. I still think its changing your mindset to embrace new ideas rather than trying to hold the tide back.

What anyone does is their choice however. 2 of my nephews both live in the back of beyond, one piggybacks his connection, the other only gets a couple of meg on ADSL yet they keep the show on the road with all their devices.

Several of my friends & relatives with slow connections take the opportunity to update & download when they visit me which is not a problem. I also download service packs & more for others, there are ways round the problem but I don't think some want that.

Things are not going to go into reverse 10 years for anyone, no matter how much you complain in forums. The bottom line is it is going to get more & more difficult if you do not embrace new ideas. Just my opinion.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Woolwell

A Kindle uses a tiny amount of bandwidth, and only needs a connection when downloading a new book or for synchronising books across a couple of devices - I have the kindle software installed on my phone and laptop and the software can synchronise across these three devices so when I go home tonight and fire up a book on the Kindle I left at home it will be at the last page I read on my laptop at lunchtime.

Kindle file sizes obviously depend on the size of the book, the 1348 page copy of The Stand that I just purchased is 2.1mb, but this includes a few images, a normal 500 page book would be around 600kb.

Over a 2mbit/s ADSL link a 600kb file will download in less than 10 seconds...

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

alan14 - We have a Kindle at home. I am fully aware of sharing devices having a smartphone, iPad, and e-book and feel that your post was rather patronising. What I was pointing out is that in rural areas sharing of bandwidth with poor connection speeds can be difficult.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I'm sorry if you thought my post was patronising, but I was merely pointing out that you don't need a lot of internet bandwidth to run a Kindle, I think even a dial-up user will manage without too many problems, as I managed to download the Kindle software, and a fairly big book, using the GPRS connection on my phone at lunchtime, it wasn't quick, but it worked

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

A smartphone, Kindle etc work fine with just about 'any' internet connection & that is really what this thread was about I think.

Not really, the thread stemmed from a problem with lack of wireless for a kindle but the thread is aimed at how intertwined our technology is nowadays.

Like this post
dagbladet

Likes # 0

My grandad had a lovely old gramophone. Had a big trumpet thing for a speaker, didn't even need electricity, it was wound up by a handle. Problem was he couldn't get a single sound out of it unless he went to Arkwright's store and bought a big wax cylinder with the music etched into the grooves. Standalone...pah!

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

@Fruit Bat /\0/\ - You can get a free internet connection with Sky or pay the price of a pint & a bag of peanuts for a greater download amount a month.

You get a free wireless router that takes 5 mins to setup. If you have a land-line you already pay rental.

You can get a similar service with several other ISP's for next to nowt.

I still fail to understand why getting a wireless connection is a problem to anyone? Unless as I said you just don't want one? If that is the case, life will become increasingly difficult I feel.

The original thread was:-

'Hiya,

Given the new kindle wi-fi for Christmas, but I don't have wi-fi. No problem so far, I registered online & I'm able to buy & download via the PC.'

I feel sorting out a WI-Fi connection is by far the simplest of all solutions & will sort many other upcoming problems such as printing without being tethered to a PC & much more. unless I'm missing something?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony PlayStation 5 release date, price and specs UK: When is the PS5 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

New Apple TV release date rumours, features: 'new Apple TV next week' rumour

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow