We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do tech firms assume too much?

Fruit Bat /\0/\
Resolved

Likes # 0

This question stems from a thread in the helproom here

The Kindle appears to need a wireless network available before it will function properly.

Is this true of other technology in today's integrated world?

My mp3 player for instance would be useless if I didn't have a PC to download the tunes too and transfer across to the player.

Gone are the days of standalone equipment?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Many instruction manuals now come on a cd which assumes that the person buying the item has a pc to read it.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I'm not sure if you are right about the Kindle. It is, of course, completely useless without any books to read.

Mine needs the wireless network to download books from Amazon, which is the way I normally use it.

Connecting it to the PC enables you to drag and drop books, in the correct format, from the PC to the Kindle. There are numerous web sites where you can download (legitimate) free books and there are many programmes which will convert the format, if necessary.

So, strictly speaking, the wireless network is not actually needed.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Oh (naughty words)!!

Ignore my last post. Having just read the thread concerned I see what the problem is.

I would, however, think that Amazon would be more inclined to help a registered user, than one who isn't.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The Kindle was specifically developed (by Amazon) for wireless connectivity. It's made pretty clear on the Kindle site, and I don't think it's a disgrace that Amazon expects you to register the device online before you can access some of the options.

The whole point of a Kindle is that you download e-books via the internet - it's not aimed at people who don't have the technology (or access to the technology) to do that.

Amazon sold a million Kindles a week in the three-week run up to Christmas last year; that makes it a pretty successful device by anyone's standards.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes but in this case without the extra tech of a wireless network he can't register.

There is obviously some basic tech required to get somethings working i.e. the electricity supply (if you can call that basic)

:0)

Like this post  
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

".....without the extra tech of a wireless network he can't register."

Yes, he can. You can register a new Kindle from any computer that's connected to the internet. Kindles are registered by their serial numbers, and the number can be read off the device. You register via the Amazon site, and you can buy books that way too,downloading them onto a PC,and dragging them onto your Kindle.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

FE yes, that's okay for registering the serial number and getting books via pc but I think a point has been missed - i.e. you can't set the time etc. on your Kindle until you have connected the Kindle via Wi-Fi.

I agree it is made quite clear on Amazon that Kindle needs at some point to be connected via Wi-Fi to Amazon to make full use of it.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

There's free wi-fi in many places these days. Pretty much every wetherspoons & McDonalds for instance.

The Kindle is a tech device, Amazon will have assumed that the purchaser of the device will have a Wi-Fi system at home because the majority of ISPs provide a Wi-Fi router with the connection.

As for MP3 players, without a computer how are you going to acquire the MP3 files?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

My personal view, is that with most things nowadays, you have to read the small print, and understand the product before purchase. But not necessarily in that order!.

I have items, that I do not fully understand, with the end results, that most of the incentives of the item are never used, which I suppose is a very sad thing, and especially after having tried to understand the instruction book?.

"Gone are the days of standalone equipment?". I would certainly perhaps agree with that!.

Perhaps looking into the future, when electricity and present day fuel supplies fail, we might need to consider past options?.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"Gone are the days of standalone equipment?"

Car radio/CD player, portable radio, TVs, DVD player, hi-fi separates, landline phone are some of the standalone items that I still have. Dwindling, but not yet gone from my house.

But isn't saying "The Kindle appears to need a wireless network available before it will function properly." a bit like saying that a car needs petrol to function properly? The Kindle was designed to make use of wireless & 3G technology.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

4G to get faster and cheaper with Freeview spectrum: We're in for a wait though

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014: A reflection

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?